ATX Community

Surveys. Is there any point?

BLACK BART

Some time ago I completed and mailed my exam sheet for 24 hours of EA/CPE (yes, I know you can do it online, but I prefer books) and filled in the vendor's "feedback" survey on the back. Since they fulfill their part of the bargain - providing practical knowledge and not-too-tough questions at a reasonable price (and, because I like writing stuff) - I feel I should return the favor. So, I dutifully answer "yes" (mostly it's true) to the "satisfaction" questions and make a suggestion (one is requested).  Now, I've been doing this for years and, of course, nothing ever comes of those suggestions.  But I'm not surprised or bothered since I don't expect any changes and the courses fulfill my needs just as they are. 

Tax software problems are another matter.  When's that's affected, you can be in serious trouble (ask one of the Jacks' here-don't remember which-about ATX).  I've been with ATX for a good while (through the meltdown several years ago).  I haven't had any problems to speak of lately (simple set-up; stand-alone computer), but at one time there was no point in bringing up a federal form problem -- you'd have a better shot at the lottery than getting through to a tech with deeper advice than "Have you downloaded the latest version" (before the automatic downloads we have now). The Arkansas state program always had issues unresolved except for workarounds (bigger customer-base states get most of the attention).  For several years I sent detailed explanations about problems, but nothing was done and laying it out was so much trouble I eventually stopped.  One persistent problem "cured itself" a couple of years ago (some techie maybe had nothing better to do one day).

So I guess my question is -- is there any point whatsoever in saying "yes" when a tech support rep asks "Would you mind completing a two-minute feedback survey"? Or is it all just public relations crap/propaganda to create a "good guy" façade? :huh:

To every dog his master is Napoleon; hence, the popularity of dogs. -- ANONYMOUS 

I don't know which companies pay attention to their own surveys, but it makes me feel better to somehow make them aware if they have an issue that they need to correct.   If I don't tell them, who will?  And how will I sleep at night with that on my conscience?  ;)

Seriously, if one person hounds them ad nauseam, and nobody else says a word, they may just think the one person is a disagreeable idiot. 

Also, if everything was fabulous, I think it's good to tell them that, too.  We like it when clients do that, after all.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, ILLMAS said:

I've been attending an annual tax review CPE class for the last few years, and I always leave a comment about the chairs, the seat cushions are so wore out, it feels like sitting on park bench for 8 hours. :angry:

Your opinion has been noted.  And nothing has been done.  #mylife

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RitaB said:

Seriously, if one person hounds them ad nauseam, and nobody else says a word, they may just think the one person is a disagreeable idiot. 

This accurately describes my status with ATX and CCH.  I have been sending complaints about several important shortcomings in the software since tax year software and nothing has changed.

#theydontgiveadamn 

• Like 1

I find that the local chapters of professional organizations that host CPEs really do read the comments.  The big corps like NCPE and even NATP when the national group delivers the courses pay no attention.  Around here NATP is begging people to attend their "famous 1040 workshop," still held at the same dump people have been complaining about for years and finally voted with their feet. The local NATP events, are so well attended they had to move to a larger venue.  There's a lesson in here somewhere.....

Tonight we got a phone call for a political survey.  You can bet people are paying attention to those responses.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SaraEA said:

I find that the local chapters of professional organizations that host CPEs really do read the comments.  The big corps like NCPE and even NATP when the national group delivers the courses pay no attention.  Around here NATP is begging people to attend their "famous 1040 workshop," still held at the same dump people have been complaining about for years and finally voted with their feet. The local NATP events, are so well attended they had to move to a larger venue.  There's a lesson in here somewhere...

I am aware of only ONE suggestion that was ever acted upon (although governmental rather than private).  And it illustrates the importance of WHO makes it.

I used to attend annual CPE statewide seminars sponsored by the University of Arkansas.  Many moons ago our seminar fee (books, breaks, blather) was nicely 40 bucks ($240 now, I think). Then one year a new lecturer showed up and, first thing, said "This seminar fee is ridiculously low; I'll speak to the board about it." Lo and behold, next year the fee was $100.  And, we were moved from Holiday Inn to the break room of a local factory.  Who says government can't operate efficiently? 

• Like 2