ATX Community

TUITION TAX CREDIT

michaelmars

>>the client gets screwed by paying the tuition for 2011 early in December 2010.<<

Presumably she had a particular non-tax reason for the advance payment, like maybe the school required it or she had to get it out of the account before the end of the year or something. That always trumps tax effects, in my opinion.

Michael,

Did you check with your client to make sure that the tuition was actually paid in 2010? If the box is checked on the 1098-T, it means that the figure listed for tuition, etc... (part of it anyway) was billed (not necessarily paid) for the spring semester of the following year. I never go by the figures on the 1098-T....always get with the student for actual tuition, etc.. paid for the year in question.

I think what Cathy is saying is that there is a checkbox in box 7 on the 1098T for amounts that were paid for an academic perion beginning in the current year. I have seen this in the past. Monies were paid in December for a full year of tuition in the following academic year. They are then used for credits in the year the student was actually in college.