ATX Community

Who needs to be tested

mcb39

1. Old client and friend goes to technical college to save money on tax prep

2. I tell client to let me look it over, I will not charge to look at it

3. Return is a mess. Over $4000 in mortgage interest is on Line 8a, Taxable interest income

4. I will amend return and charge a fair fee

5. Client comes yesterday to pick up amendments (Fed and WI) Client says she has not received

refund yet for return filed in March.

6. We call WI and IRS...neither has a record of the return which was supposedly efiled.

7. I redo entire return and e-file. Both are accepted so were never filed before

8. We call tech college and response is "You know these are just students preparing returns but

the supervisor is supposed to check them over. I will connect you to the supervisor. OK, but

received disconnect rather than connect.

Now, this may be an isolated incident, but I tend to think that it may be fairly common. Client would

have waited forever for refund which would never come because return was never filed. Who would detect the errors?

Say what you may about calling clients who don't show up; but if you know them well and they have been with you forever, I have no qualms about calling just to make sure their needs have been taken care of. Both I and my client are very happy that I made that call. I would have happily backed off if their returns had been in order and we would still be friends.

Again, I ask, "Who Needs To Be Tested?" This is not the first time that I have seen the work of the underling to be not properly checked by the person holding the credentials. :dunno:

1. Old client and friend goes to technical college to save money on tax prep

That is the entire source of the problem.

Additionally:

Our industry is labeled, tagged and dissed by the media as overcharging.

We are not seen as professionals. Until the perception of our industry changes, this will always be a problem.

I allow my clients to pursue "saving money on tax prep." The next year, they become my clients for life, with a built in fee increase from then on.

Human nature cannot be changed.

I have considered making a substantial increase in my fees just to weed out the people that are only concerned with who is the least expensive. Less clients, same pay, less work.

Just my rant for today!

You are both correct in general. However, considering the employment situation in Central WI, you have to look at both sides. Yes, she did a lot of running around for nothing and ended up here in the end, where she had to pay. No, I did not prepare the return for nothing. But, they are both out of work and have a son in college. They really paid the 4000 plus in mortgage interest as well as principal and property taxes. I think they have to eat too. On the other hand, they wasted a lot of my time fixing their error and I am quite sure this will never happen again. My point was not whether they had to pay to get their tax return prepared. My point was why are these novices allowed to perform such important services in the first place.; without education first.

IMO, the IRS itself has placed the biggest tag on our heads with their greatly enhanced advertising of "Do it yourself on our website" How many of you have ever tried to prepare a free-file return? It is difficult at best and even with our knowledge, it is so easy to click "Send" too soon. My second rant for the day.

I too have clients that have been, and some still are, unemployed. Yes, everyone must eat. All have monthly bills to deal with. All have annual expenses for car registration, auto insurance, homeowners insurance, etc.

Would it not be financially prudent for them to save money and time by going to a professional rather than chasing the pipe dream as seen on TV. Now we all know that everything in commercials is 100% true!

I personally have been through all the possible scenarios of jobs in my 40 years working. Laid off twice, company closed under me 3 times, unemployed with no health insurance, earning WELL BELOW the poverty line for a family of 2 but having a family of 5. I have experienced the worst.

Those conditions are not excuses for making bad choices over where and how to get your tax return prepared. It is an annual event, and everyone knows it is coming.

Cut corners, spend too much money.