ATX Community

Filing POA

imjulier

After my other post (thanks to all for responding!) regarding an IRS audit of rental property, if I fax a POA to the normal number, how long will it take before I can talk to the auditor? I intend to start with the auditor because their line of thinking is not clear to me even from the notice provided to the taxpayer and if resolution seems unlikely, then ask them to just send me through to appeals. How long will it take the auditor to respond to my inquiry? Any sharing of experiences would be great...I guess you could say I'm an audit/IRS virgin!

Thanks,

Julie

Faxing to the auditor is immediate. I always use this method to get an appointment, etc, let them know I'm going to rep them. Then you can fax to CAF (if you don't have prior year AGI to use eservices) because the auditor won't always enter the POA into CAF.

I don't know how long it takes a "good" POA to be entered into the CAF, but if the CAF unit finds any problems you're in for a long wait.

I did an amendment for a client and his new wife in late April. Since they wanted to track the progress of the amendment and it was inconvenient for them to sign the amendment itself (home visit - they reviewed it on my laptop) they both signed POAs. I attached the POAs to the amendment and also faxed them to the CAF unit.

I waited about a week and then went on e-services to see if the amendment had been received. I was not allowed to see the account of either my old client or his new wife - no POA had been recorded. I then submitted my old client's POA electronically since I had his previous AGI.

On June 12 his wife received a letter from the CAF unit, dated May 8, refering to the POA which they had received on April 23. They were unable to process it because they had received only the first page. Please resubmit everything. We re-faxed it.

Last week (July 19) the wife received another letter from the CAF unit, dated July 9, refering to the POA they received on June 19. They cound not process it because her name did not match her SSN. [it is a compound last name - "Aye Bee". Note that a 1040X provides an explicit box for the 'last name' but a 2848 does not. Her name as submitted was exactly the same as shown on her 1099-SSA. It also passed the name check when it was originally e-filed.]

In the meantime, the amendment was processed and a refund check was issued, received and cashed. We no longer need the POA which hasn't yet been processed. If we stop responding to the CAF unit's requests, will they just go away?

In April, I filed POA's on amended returns for three years. The POA's have been rejected four times because "the undersigned preparer did not prepare the returns in question." Finally, after letters and phone calls, I was contacted telling me to stop asking for POA's because "you did not prepare the returns." I curtly explained the POA's for for 1040X's. The comment was "OH." Then, "there is an X there." Problem solved, sort of, still not processed.

Our tax dollars at work.

I became confused when I heard the word 'service' used with these agencies.

Internal Revenue 'Service'

Postal 'Service'

Telephone 'Service'

Cable TV 'Service'

Civil 'Service'

City, Provincial & Public 'Service'

Customer 'Service'

This is not what I thought 'Service' meant.

But today, I overheard two farmers talking, and one of them said he had

hired a bull to 'service' his cows.

BAM!!! It all came into focus.

Now I understand what all those agencies are doing to us.

• Like 1