ATX Community

Where do you find stock prices for companies that no longer exist?

Kea

Client's broker sold stock client inherited. Of course client knows nothing about investments and had little info. She inherited shares of North Fork Bank which was acquired by Capital One. I just got the date of death this morning.

I usually use Yahoo Finance, Bigcharts or similar to get historical stock prices. But since North Fork Bank (NFB) no longer exists, I am having trouble finding the price from 6/27/99.

My google searches are only coming up with pay sites or other not-so-useful info.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Did you try Capital One's investor relations department? I've also called a librarian at a library with a good business department. And, I've found old companies on Big Charts, but you have to try various years to get within the range for that company. Charge your client for your research. Or, have him pay for one of the pay services.

Capital One's web site says they don't have the historical price for North Fork. And nothing at all came up on Bigcharts for either the name or the symbol. Didn't even get to try a date.

I may try the library route or maybe even my own broker (but that will probably involve phone tag). I just really prefer the internet when possible.

And, oh yes, the client is paying for this research time!

Didn't have to search for any this year, so don't remember clearly. Do remember it was a lot of trial and error. Knowing the symbol helps. Or doing a search for the symbol and then picking the right one from the list of possibilities, trying a few until one works for the dates I'm searching. Once you have the symbol, you go to the Historical section, not the home page.

Big Charts only goes back about *12 years, so it is of no help if the transactions was prior to that.

Companies that have gone out of business, have been merged, or delisted from the exchanges will

not be found either.

This includes companies reorganized after a Chapter 9 bankruptcy; ie General Motors. You will not find any quotes for GM prior to Nov 2010.

*checked GE and could only find quotes from 2000 on.

My clients say, "Can't you find that on your computer?" I have sometimes leaned on my own personal broker (actually her assistant) for research. I worry that our clients will think we have everything we need from their brokers now, even though they don't have to provide anything for purchases before 2011 and not even everything after.