ATX Community

Any Detail Statements??????

the boss

In my opinion any field where the user is expected to input a figure should have a detail field, where the user can put notes. Taxworks and Drake had that ability. I don't think it is enough to have one general notes field for the entire return. It only serves a general purpose for overall summary comments.

I believe I raised this topic in an earlier post but it wasnt addressed. The example I used was Sch A Property Taxes. I like to be able to drill down to tha data behind the number and this was always done with detail statements. It would be a nightmare to have to keep manual records on fields that are comprised of several data inputs.

Hopefully this is being addressed.

I second that. It is a good example where field specific notes is so helpful. Can you imagine keeping notes of each field in the general notes field for the entire retun.It will be unusable in a practical way. I hope that is a priority for update.

I believe I raised this topic in an earlier post but it wasnt addressed. The example I used was Sch A Property Taxes. I like to be able to drill down to tha data behind the number and this was always done with detail statements. It would be a nightmare to have to keep manual records on fields that are comprised of several data inputs.

Hopefully this is being addressed.

Hey John,

on our SchA you can add statements on property tax there is a title that say other taxes add statement. You can use this filed for whatever you want. On the Sch C & E give me more detail, but what if at the top of each form I added a additional statement button the you could use for what ever you wanted to on that form?

Doug

TRX1 if you can't add a detail statement to each user input field at this late stage of the game, then having a detail statement on each form would be better than nothing. I can see 3 years down the road if U had to do a 1040X we would be scratching our head trying to figure out what the figure was made up of. At least if each form had a detail notes you can refer to that. I am trying to go paper less as much as I can. Those filing cabinets are becoming expensive!

TRX1 if you can't add a detail statement to each user input field at this late stage of the game, then having a detail statement on each form would be better than nothing. I can see 3 years down the road if U had to do a 1040X we would be scratching our head trying to figure out what the figure was made up of. At least if each form had a detail notes you can refer to that. I am trying to go paper less as much as I can. Those filing cabinets are becoming expensive!

You know with our e-cabinet you can scan any documents from clients and put them in a folder for later reference and be completely paperless. That is what we are working towards.Doug

Hey John,

on our SchA you can add statements on property tax there is a title that say other taxes add statement. You can use this filed for whatever you want. On the Sch C & E give me more detail, but what if at the top of each form I added a additional statement button the you could use for what ever you wanted to on that form?

Doug

Doug,

Detail items for most of the line items would be optimal but i use them a lot for expense items on Sch C & E. They are broad categoies...such as supplies and I like to enter the details for those items.

Thanks

John

It also helps to be able to print the "detail" info. When I "print to .pdf" my copy of the tax return, I'll usually include the "detail" sheets so I can see how I got the entered totals. Typical detail sheets are for a list of charity contributions, propery tax, sales tax (to show if client added car sales tax to the default).

I know the depreciation form isn't ready from IRS, but can we get the car worksheet yet? (OK, I admit I haven't downloaded today's update yet - so maybe it's already there.) I was working on a 4th quarter estimate for one of my organized clients and didn't see a place to input business miles for stardard mileage calculation. This is another area where I use the detial worksheet. The car expense can be composed of std. mileage, tolls, parking, and interest.

Thanks

Kea, the 4.06 version does have the Vehicle worksheet (go to add Forms and look for that worksheet). It does calculate the standard mileage. I tell my clients if they want less headches (and pay me less) go with standard mileage if they have less than 4 vehicles in the business. I do charge for sorting out a years worth of gas and oil and repair receipts. Some of my clients (the smarter ones!) use NAPA to buy their auto parts and use a repair facility that will provide a nice year end summary of all the repair charges, broken down by parts and labor by vehicle. That is real handy and time saver.

Thanks Taxed. I'm glad that's already updated. that will help me with a few more 4th Q estimates. (I only have one client who uses actual costs vs std miles.)

I plan to download the updates today and start getting serious with my testing. I wanted to let some of the bugs get squashed first to minimize my chance of unnecessary headaches and frustrations.

Has the prior year conversion improved yet? I have several clients in multiple TaxWorks folders (amendments, what-ifs, etc) and would like to specify only bringing over the ones in the "completed" folder.

Can we get before Jan 30th a list of items that the proforma process will not carryforward to the 2012 return. At least that way we can watch out and manually enter if the need be. I would hate to be blindsighted when the real peak season starts and we are pressed for time and create an incorrect return. I understand the first year of this new software will have some bumps, but we also need to make sure the returns are accurate.

I can see that you can do billing by Form on an individual basis. Is there a way to set up billing by form in a central location that will create an invoice in an individual return based on the forms used in that return. It appears that I will need to assign a price to each form used in each return. Not just once like could be done in ATX and Redgear.

I can see that you can do billing by Form on an individual basis. Is there a way to set up billing by form in a central location that will create an invoice in an individual return based on the forms used in that return. It appears that I will need to assign a price to each form used in each return. Not just once like could be done in ATX and Redgear.

Go to the default return and add a price list (if not already added) then edit the price of each form that you like to charge. Then when you start a new return use the default box checked in that initial window.

I was just trying a sample bill and noticed that when you peek it it shows the detailed item pricing but when you go to print return only the total shows up, no details. Is ther a radio button or check box that needs to be flagged to produce details. If not then in my opinion we need that because some of us may want only totals in the bill and others may want to show item details?

Doug,

On returns rolled over from 2011 it appears that you need to enter the invoice price for every form that is included within that particular return. You must do this again for each form for every return that is rolled over.

Other software products offer a single (master) form to input billing prices for every tax form and then that billing information is pulled forward to any return that is prepared. Keeping your pricing consistent and providing immediate invoice pricing based on the forms included in that return. The return then allows you to alter that price for discounts, sales tax and any other billing items you need to add. There is also an override to base that returns billing on a flat or hourly rate.

Havng to enter the invoice billing price for every return rolled over is very time consuming and opens the preparer up to possible errors. So we need a centralized invoice billing location for the forms please.

Doug,

On returns rolled over from 2011 it appears that you need to enter the invoice price for every form that is included within that particular return. You must do this again for each form for every return that is rolled over.

Other software products offer a single (master) form to input billing prices for every tax form and then that billing information is pulled forward to any return that is prepared. Keeping your pricing consistent and providing immediate invoice pricing based on the forms included in that return. The return then allows you to alter that price for discounts, sales tax and any other billing items you need to add. There is also an override to base that returns billing on a flat or hourly rate.

Havng to enter the invoice billing price for every return rolled over is very time consuming and opens the preparer up to possible errors. So we need a centralized invoice billing location for the forms please.

Agreed. Entering every invoice separately is not acceptable. Every tax software that I have ever used has this functionality. I don't want to have to create invoices in Word or some other program. I like to print everything into a PDF right from the tax software, including an invoice and client letter. Both of these functions, in their current condition, are sketchy at best.