ATX Community

Netsetup for 2012

ILLMAS

In the past I would install ATX as a stand alone, then I would map a drive and run Netsetup to install it on another computer. I see ATX2012 has Netsetup, however I am afraid with everything that is going on with the program, that it might not work. Has anyone had any problems installing ATX on another computer using Netsetup, I don't have a server so mapping the drive will be only way on a WIN 7 machine for me. Any tips?

Thanks

MAS

In the past I would install ATX as a stand alone, then I would map a drive and run Netsetup to install it on another computer. I see ATX2012 has Netsetup, however I am afraid with everything that is going on with the program, that it might not work. Has anyone had any problems installing ATX on another computer using Netsetup, I don't have a server so mapping the drive will be only way on a WIN 7 machine for me. Any tips?

Thanks

MAS

We have been only using the payroll module so far this year. Waiting for all the bugs to hopefully be worked out. Have scheduled all day tomorrow (Thursday) to work with ATX and FAM, customize as much as is possible, update everything, defrag, etc., and then set up the network. Will post back here after all of that to let you know how it went.

If the network won't work, then I have read from other posters about not setting up the network at all, installing ATX on each workstation and then using the import/export feature to work on returns on each workstation and then export back to the server for efiling & permanent storage. Will try that if the network cannot be established & be stable.

(using Win 7 with a computer designated as "server" and mapped network drives, just like you.)

Maribeth

Maribeth, do NOT use the import export method! That will be a disaster.

We have a server and 10 workstations. The network function is working properly. The program still has issues.

Install the program ON/FROM the server. This is different than the past 4 years.

Then download the update file from the MyATX website and run it on the server.

DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE FROM THE PROGRAM IF YOU ARE JUST NOW INSTALLING IT.

Then perform netsetup (in the workstation folder on the server) on each workstation. I would also avoid the security setup on the program.

Maribeth, do NOT use the import export method! That will be a disaster.

We have a server and 10 workstations. The network function is working properly. The program still has issues.

Install the program ON/FROM the server. This is different than the past 4 years.

Then download the update file from the MyATX website and run it on the server.

DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE FROM THE PROGRAM IF YOU ARE JUST NOW INSTALLING IT.

Then perform netsetup (in the workstation folder on the server) on each workstation. I would also avoid the security setup on the program.

Jack,

Have tried to reply to your post and have had troubles posting it, so will try again. I have installed ATX on the server, installed to a network drive. What is the difference this year? Do I set up the workstations from the server? I have updated everything on the server and the server is always the machine that gets the updates and does all of the efiling. Do I need to do something different?

Maribeth

Jack,

Have tried to reply to your post and have had troubles posting it, so will try again. I have installed ATX on the server, installed to a network drive. What is the difference this year? Do I set up the workstations from the server? I have updated everything on the server and the server is always the machine that gets the updates and does all of the efiling. Do I need to do something different?

Maribeth

Are you using a real server or doing it Ad-Hoc? A real server will have Server 2008 or Server 2011 software. Ad-Hoc is just several PCs connected in a network with the files residing on one of them. Two totaly different setups.

Are you using a real server or doing it Ad-Hoc? A real server will have Server 2008 or Server 2011 software. Ad-Hoc is just several PCs connected in a network with the files residing on one of them. Two totall different setups.

No, not using a real server. A peer-to-peer network, with one workstation dedicated as the server. Windows 7. All the appliction software and data files are on the server, on a mapped network drive, and the other workstations link to that server. Am I screwed this year??

Maribeth

No, not using a real server. A peer-to-peer network, with one workstation dedicated as the server. Windows 7. All the appliction software and data files are on the server, on a mapped network drive, and the other workstations link to that server. Am I screwed this year??

Maribeth

Everyone's expericence varies. We use the same network configuration as you. Program is slower but has been improving with each update and seems to be working ok on our systems (all are Windows 7 Pro with 8GB RAM and SSDs). No issues with printing to an HP LaserJet 4300N. Our office doesn't get busy for another week, so we have only rolled over 3 1040's as of this morning.

Everyone's expericence varies. We use the same network configuration as you. Program is slower but has been improving with each update and seems to be working ok on our systems (all are Windows 7 Pro with 8GB RAM and SSDs). No issues with printing to an HP LaserJet 4300N. Our office doesn't get busy for another week, so we have only rolled over 3 1040's as of this morning.

Thanks for the info. Seems like your system is the same as mine, except for 4200 HP, so am crossing fingers and going to launch into ATX2012 today. Thanks so much!

Ok that kind of worked, but now I cannot see the returns I have already prepared, it seem it was a clean install on the second PC. I see it was installed as a workstation when I ran netsetup, just wondering if I need to change a path to link the database or whatever they call it for 2012.

one of your machine is prob point to the wrong sub dir. If you have a third pc it will be easy to figure out the problem.

You need to creat different user names on each separate computer to see which one has the correct install dir. Use third pc to log on and see which one has the correct sets of user name. backup and restore to correct computer. Then you should be set.

• 2 weeks later...

one of your machine is prob point to the wrong sub dir. If you have a third pc it will be easy to figure out the problem.

You need to creat different user names on each separate computer to see which one has the correct install dir. Use third pc to log on and see which one has the correct sets of user name. backup and restore to correct computer. Then you should be set.

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. I believe permissions and sharing are setup properly. Were you able to resolve? The icon netsetup leaves on the workstation points to a local .exe which of course doesn't exist. I can launch the program from the server, but like you, see previous year's returns, but nothing prepared this year. Also, preparer info is absent. Calls to ATX indicate wait times of over an hour. Submitted ticket over a week ago and still waiting on response.

Every update brings new hope that I will be able to get access from a workstation, and every time I am disappointed. I set up correctly, drive goes to correct spot in program files, I can see 2011 files, but I cannot see rolled over returns. Just no files there. Master computer (we are peer to peer, Win7 to XP) has already completed 200 returns so don't want to do anything to jeopardize that fragile amount of success. This is seriously ridiculous.