ATX Community

FILING CONSUMER COMPLAINTS WITH TENNESSEE AG

Mike D

Thank you Mike. I think we need to be consistent in our complaint and the facts. So Mike if you could post the brief points of your complaint, we can then complain to TN AG and they will see a pattern of consumers getting ripped off by one of their businesses in the state.

I also found out that most states AGs office work with the state AG where the business is located if the consumer in their state has been ripped of by a out of state company and if it involves inter-state commerce. So i also recommend all of us to file a complaint with our own state's AG's office.

I think if a pattern of abuse develops in 50 states by this company, some action will be taken. Perhaps future client's will be prevented from getting ripped off!

This is a brief description of my complaint that I forwarded to the Tennessee AG.

Since receiving this product from TRX Software Development Inc. in mid December 2012 TRX and after many hours of my time beta testing this product for them, they had the audacity to compare this new home grown product of theirs to TaxWorks Software by Red Gear, the product that was provided by TRX to me for the past 2 years. To date it has been updated 22 times and it still doesn’t work well enough to produce a complete professional tax return. Some of the blatant issues are, states are not yet available and tested? Platform is very unstable and continues to have many issues. The same type issues appear to exist affecting the business returns and they have not yet been tested?

Using this software for the 2012 tax season in my opinion would destroy my business as my clients expect and deserve professional, accurate and state of the art results!

I do believe that TRX Software Development Inc. has had an opportunity to come clean and work out a refund policy with its members which would have been the appropriate thing to do.

They however chose to continue this prolonged beta test to no avail.

I have serious doubts about the claim made by TRX, that they e filed 50,000 tax returns using this software for the 2011 tax year without incident?

I am formally requesting a full and speedy refund immediately in the amount of $339.94.

Due to the above facts, I was compelled to purchase another tax software package which cost me an additional $350.

I do hope that they eventually develop a professional tax software product that will make us all proud.

Michael M Dubin CPA

I think it would be good to add how many times a refund has been requested via e-mail, followed the cancellation policy of TRX, refused phone calls, placed on hold and left in the black hole for hours after stating you were calling to obtain a refund. Promises made by Doug and the fact that you can't use the software to complete a simple professional return. I think TRX should be liable for the costs incurred to purchase software from another vendor to be able to serve our customers as well as reimbursement for time spent learning a new program while that time could have been spent preparing tax returns along with fact that the inability of TRX to deliver a useable product has placed a financial hardship on all of us. JMHO

Can you believe it......I just a reply from their noreply email address. See below what I got and sent back:

Seriously!!!! Are you kidding me??? Do you think that I'm still using your software with most of the states and business returns not available? Why would I e-file a return with no state? Give me a break!!! If you actually believe this a working program, then you are insane. This program stinks and you can't even resolve to most simplest of errors like on the 1009-K where the Payee's name & address is locked into the Filer's section. This is a defective program and along with many others I will never be doing business with TRX again. Really bad business practices and terrible customer service....just look at your facebook page.

To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, February 2, 2013 11:52:03 AM
Subject: RE: TRX Update

Please make sure that you are on .23 now and that has resolved all the efc errors.

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:54 PM
To: No Reply
Subject: Re: TRX Update

This is useless.

Absolutely, please also file with your state AG's consumer Fraud office. I hear the NY AG's office is very aggressive. Doug was selling his junk in all 50 states so that is interstate commerce. Also folks who paid by PayPal must complain to PayPal because you want PayPal to throw him out!

I too will be filing a complaint ASAP.

I am in NJ and they have no state returns yet. I emailed and asked for at least an ETA and this is the reply they sent me

"Yes we are still updating NJ at this time and we will have it released once we finish that"

What poor customer service, not even an "we're sorry for the inconvenience"

You could check with other software companies to see if NJ is available. Like us in NC, we were told by TRX that it was the State's fault when in fact NC has never heard of TRX, TaxExact. so, that leads me to believe that Doug and his group were never or ever attempted to be approved with NC. Again, what a joke. I will probably file a complaint with the TN AG, NC AG office as well. I don't know if you can file a small claims and a complaint with the AG at the same time. But if I can, I sure will

Anyone get a response from TN AG's office that they may investigate this case? I wonder what the threshold is for them to start cracking the whip? Does it make sense if we takea petition here and send it to TN AG's office? I wonder how we can contact the rest of the 6000 TRX users that were duped and they do not follow this forum. Facebook, Twitter ??

Don't mean to pour salt in the wound here guys because I really do feel your pain, but you spend $339.94 on "professional" tax software and you're "shocked" it doesn't work? Really?? I'm having my own struggles with ATX (which, by the way, avoid at all costs as a replacement to TRX) but honestly, you get what you pay for.

Don't mean to pour salt in the wound here guys because I really do feel your pain, but you spend $339.94 on "professional" tax software and you're "shocked" it doesn't work? Really?? I'm having my own struggles with ATX (which, by the way, avoid at all costs as a replacement to TRX) but honestly, you get what you pay for.

Well for $349 we got Taxworks (Redgear) product for 2009, 2010 and 2011 and we were hoping that would continue for 2012 also. That product DID work because I filed e-filed over 300 returns.

One can argue whether we should be "shocked" BUT the point is if a business accepts advance payment, ever a buck then it should refund it if it can not deliver the goods!

I've had four successful seasons with $339.94 software, there was no reason to believe I wouldn't get more years. TRX makes its money with the bank products and other stuff.

• Like 1

I was with ATX for about 15 years. Yes you get what you pay for, Im sure you agree wiht that statement as it applies to your 2012 version of ATX also.

Like I said, I feel your pain with TRX having had my own stuggles with ATX. I've jumped ship on ATX and joined ProSeries (already refunded by ATX). The point I'm trying to make is that if you are serious about this business, you should be serious about investing in the tools of your trade.

I'm The Queen of value shopping. However, the idea is to buy quality at a good price, not to buy cheap junk.

Until this year, I felt that TRX was quality at a good price. Not any more.........

Seriously, if I knew any professional I was paying used "an inferior product", I would be changing that professional.

At this point I don't care if the TRX software ends up being superlative and they finally get all the states.

Nothing was ready on time. This is not "quality at good price".

My clients don't need to hear my problems or excuses from me. They expect me to deliver.

$339.94? that dosn't include the business forms does it?

Paper yes, efile no. They have a $699 (plus s&h) version that efiles business. The more expensive version had a more extensive asset depreciation system. At least, if you go by the fact that we though we were getting Taxworks, which is what I had for the past 2 years. TRX is working on it's own software, so I would have expected their software to have the same features.

The $339.94 ($299 plus S&H) was an early bird price. It's $100 off the original price.

I'm The Queen of value shopping. However, the idea is to buy quality at a good price, not to buy cheap junk.

Until this year, I felt that TRX was quality at a good price. Not any more.........

Seriously, if I knew any professional I was paying used "an inferior product", I would be changing that professional.

At this point I don't care if the TRX software ends up being superlative and they finally get all the states.

Nothing was ready on time. This is not "quality at good price".

My clients don't need to hear my problems or excuses from me. They expect me to deliver.

Totally agree here. It's bad enough the nitwits in Congress waited until Jan 2 to approve their tax package which set the IRS behind. At least since this is in the news, I can tell my clients "Sorry, you're getting education credits you have to wait to file your return", or "you're getting home energy credits and you have depreciation for this year, you have to wait until March" and not have to worry that they will run to H&R Block or another chain because they would give the same answers.