ATX Community

12.9 Big Improvement for Me

Chowdahead

I have noticed considerable improvement with 12.9. I am running the same Dell w/ Intel 3.3GHz processor and 3GB or RAM as I was at the beginning of the season. Here is my experience:

The Good:

• I can now access all of my returns without crashing.
  • I have not crashed while printing since the 12.8 update, nor have I had any "printer errors".
  • I can now type-search in drop down boxes again like the QuickEntry on W-2s
  • QuickEntry dropdowns now showing certain Payers that were missing before
  • "Remember Me" box on Login screen actually works now
  • 8867 related errors are now showing as red to prevent creating e-file
  • Opening returns has been speed up about 20%, but much still slower than 2011.
  • Start-up time of the program is improved

The Bad:

• Program crashes when attempting to open a return already open on the other workstation
  • Creating a "New Record" W-2 input screen in a rolled-over return generates a 6th record, leaving W-2 records 2-5 blank. This is sloppy.
  • Deleting dependents still leaves relationship type and it cannot be deleted... sloppy.
  • On 8867 program does not automatically check "No disabled child" if I didn't select "Disabled" on the dependent entry sheet.
  • Client letter is still a mess and I gave up and made my own letter in Word.
  • Creating an e-file takes far too long (25-45 seconds), multiply this by 60 e-files that need to be sent, especially when each Return is already slow to save and open.
  • Saving still takes too long (10-15 seconds)
  • Transmitting e-files still too slow
  • Receiving acknowledgements is still unbearably slow and 12.9 required re-download of ALL acknowledgements since Jan. 30. This took almost 3 hours.
  • Program still exhibits more unstable behavior on workstation
  • When installing update on workstation, the result is a dead program link on the desktop that leads to an "unfound" file. Netsetup must be used to uninstall and reinstall on workstation in order to utilize updated version.
  • Erratic run-time errors on workstation
  • Erratic slow return opening times on workstation

Are you able to run multiple computers on the same network file?

One person can use it in my office at a time.

Rich

No, only one user can work on a return at one time, same as 2011 and all years prior.

However, in ATX 2011 when I attempted to open a file already open on another workstation I would simply get a dialog box. In ATX 2012 I get a Dialog Box, but upon clicking "OK", I immediately get a Windows 7 dialog box telling me the "ATX2012 program is not responding and must be closed".

i think, current but empty 1099r's from 2011 rollover also screw up and crash...probably more.

so far(?) with latest update, i think 2012 requires a clean scorecard from 2011 rollover.

i think atx is working on correcting this...for update 12.?.

12.9 is the best for me so far...i am a bare bones (no prior year, altered/rolled over forms) single station, w7, 6 gb system.

Creating a "New Record" W-2 input screen in a rolled-over return generates a 6th record, leaving W-2 records 2-5 blank. This is sloppy

I havn't downloaded 12.9, and I have this issue. have had it through several upgrades. Not just the W-2s, but you have to watch on 1099-G's as well.

Yes I forgot about that. Actually it's worse with the 1099-G because the program will automatically enter State Income Tax on a 1099-G if the client itemized last year. This is normally a convenience, unless the automatically created one is already there but is "hidden" as record 3 or 4 or 5 and you don't see it and mistakenly re-enter the 1099-G that the client was mailed. Then you are counting it twice.

Fortunately I have caught this when reviewing the 1040 Pg. 1.

I noticed in looking through the backup file that ATAX2012 has darn near every client we have ever had sitting there in the backup file. So my assumption is that EVERYTHING got rolled over into the new version and that it is going to be up to us to start to clear some of that old junk out. I have clients in the backup file that I have not worked on for over 5 years.

Maribeth

• Like 1

I noticed in looking through the backup file that ATAX2012 has darn near every client we have ever had sitting there in the backup file. So my assumption is that EVERYTHING got rolled over into the new version and that it is going to be up to us to start to clear some of that old junk out. I have clients in the backup file that I have not worked on for over 5 years.

Maribeth

Just opened return for a client who is coming in this afternoon. Her return showed three dependent children. Her son was killed in an accident two years ago. Thank God I caught that before she came in. One of the daughters has not been a dependend for a while. In fact she got married last year and filed jointly with her husband. Just have to watch EVERYTHING! Really WEIRD!!!!!!!

• Like 1