ATX Community

ATX 12.9 - Returns open fine, cannot save (crashes program)

richardtrent

I am the network administrator for a small firm. We are experiencing a substantial problem with ATX 2012. We are able to open/view all returns, but unable to Save any changes to the returns. When attempting the Save we get the following error and ATX 2012 closes (same behavior from both server and workstation):

---
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: atx2012.loader.exe
Problem Signature 02: 12.8.214.4
Problem Signature 03: 511fd5cc
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 50484bd7
Problem Signature 07: 3fe8
Problem Signature 08: 1d
Problem Signature 09: System.IO.EndOfStreamException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:Windowssystem32en-USerofflps.txt
---

We are currently running ATX 2012 - v. 12.9 in a true network environment. ATX and data is installed on the X: drive.

Server Hardware: Dell Poweredge | 8x core 2.5Ghz Intel Xeon processors | 16GB RAM | 600+GB HDD free
Server Software: Windows Server 2008 R2, x64, patched to current | ESET Anti-Virus (disabled for testing) | no software firewall on
Client Workstations: Dell OptiPlex Desktops | Intel Core i3 processors 1.7Ghz + | minimum 4GB RAM in each | minimum of 30GB HDD free | Windows 7 Pro, x64, patched to current | ESET Anti-Virus (disabled for testing) | no software firewall on

We have tried all solutions available on-line to no avail. We know it is NOT a network security issue or permissions issue with the shares, etc. as we have granted EVERYONE full access to both the shares and the security settings for the time-being.

my #1 top ten, 1 cent educated guess...you have corrupted forms (that were rolled over from 2011).

if this isn't your problem, then there are 9 other options for the atx mess.

imo, corrupted forms that cause program crashes seem to be the main problem for high return, networked firms.

there is a procedure to delete the corrupted form base and reinstall good forms. the method has been repeated many, many times on the reg atx board.

my #1 top ten, 1 cent educated guess...you have corrupted forms (that were rolled over from 2011).

if this isn't your problem, then there are 9 other options for the atx mess.

imo, corrupted forms that cause program crashes seem to be the main problem for high return, networked firms.

there is a procedure to delete the corrupted form base and reinstall good forms. the method has been repeated many, many times on the reg atx board.

Have done that process TWICE with no change in results.

Please elaborate what steps solved your issues. I have been on hold for ATX tech support since 8:00AM. It is now 2:20PM. Their system dumped me at 11:30AM.

I am very able to make changes if I can only find out what changes need to be made.

Lizawelch just created an account today. To post their endorsement of Cloud whatever, the place Meenakshi was spamming earlier. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Got in touch with a very nice ATX technician today. He was able to identify that inside the "Company" directory there was a data corruption. The ATX 2012 program "didn't know how to handle the corruption and therefore would error and crash." He transferred the entire directory to his machine, did some modifications on his end, and returned it to me in good working order.

All seems better now. I wish I knew exactly what he did, but he didn't enlighten me. Just acknowledged it was a corruption and took care of the issue.

TAXMAN & Others,

Unfortunately this was happening on our entire network installation. All machines, posting exact same issue. We have a mixed-mode environment of Windows 2008 R2 (server), Windows 7 Pro (64 and 32 bit) workstations, and XP Pro SP3 workstations.

The actual directory that he made modifications to was the "...ATX2012CCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012CompanyCompany" directory, which contains a bunch of directories setup as unique identifier numbers. This is your actual client-data location. Now, what he did to that directory exactly I cannot say as he pulled the whole directory over to his machine, did SOMETHING to it, and returned it. When it was returned only about 1/4 of it was populated with data. He said the rest was "corrupted." The users then had to roll-up each company again. But, once the corrupted data was removed everything seemed to work fine the rest of the day.

Hopefully that will help some of you who like me, were beating your head against a wall.