ATX Community

SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFIT FOULUP

Lee B

This is the scenario:

Spouse marries 8 or 9 years ago. Son is born in 2005. Father dies 2008. Spouse receives SS Widow benefits and son receives SS survivor benefits. Spouse remarries 2010, SS Widow benefits stop, Son's SS Survivor benefits continue. In 2011 Son's SS Survivor's continue, it's OK.

In 2012 family moves to new address in same city, SS notified of address change. For some unknown reason, SSA starts sending Widow's benefits to the spouse even thought she's remarried. She calls SSA and tells them to stop sending Widow's benefits. Of course it takes several months for the SSA to stop the payments. SSA starts withholding $240 a month for repayment from son's survivor benefits.

She receives a 2012 SSA-1099 with her SSN on it for $2,643. Son receives a 2012 SSA-1099 with

his SSN on it showing $960 deduction for benefits repaid to SSA in 2012. The remaining overpayment of $1,683 is going to be wihheld from son's survivor benefits during 2013.

Should I show $2,643 on line 20a (85% taxable due to family income) and $816 (85% of $960)

as an other adjustment on line 32 or should I net $1,683 (2,643 - 960) on line 20a with the

remaining 2013 repayment of $1,683 x 85% ( 1,431 ) showing up in 2013 as an other adjustment

in order to arrive at AGI? (I didn't see anywhere on the SS worksheet to enter repayments)

How would you do it?