ATX Community

ATX Program Language - Slowness

Randall

I'm not a techie regarding programs. In the past, I've heard ATX was a spreadsheet based program. Not being a programmer, I always assumed this is why it was slow. This year, there was supposed to be this major overhaul. I'm not sure of the details, but is it still a spreadsheet based program. I'm wondering if this is the reason it is even slower than past years. Maybe they just tried to do too much with this type of program.

Jack of Ohio and others may know more about this.

Probably makes no noticeable speed difference either way. The slowest part of your computer, besides the display process, is the file process. When the delays (for safety's sake) added by having a network / multi-user data setup, the using of the data becomes the bottleneck. What data from a file? Have to read the file, see if is in use, get any unsaved changes, increment the use count, etc., etc. Want to add/change something? Have to change the file, stop all uses of the file, update the data in all uses, restart all uses, let the others know you changed something, etc.

Whether or not you actually use a network is a small factor, as the software has to assume you are until it can be proved otherwise...

A single user program is like a parent doing a chore themselves. Gets done properly, at the needed time.

A multi-user/network program is like asking your child to do something. Eventually it may get done, maybe properly, assuming you remind, remind again, nag, check, recheck, instruct on how to do it correctly, then redo it properly yourself.

Both ways can get the job done, but with differing levels of complexity and elapsed time.

It is using a new language to move files between server and network, and between the program. The new language is known to be unsuitable for server based environments. ATX will require a massive over haul scratching everything that has been done. Basically, it is toast. CCH would be better off to simply terminate the program. Sad, but true. I likely ATX and the functionality, but this last go around has destroyed any chance of it being a viable software again.

• Like 1

It is using a new language to move files between server and network, and between the program. The new language is known to be unsuitable for server based environments. ATX will require a massive over haul scratching everything that has been done. Basically, it is toast. CCH would be better off to simply terminate the program. Sad, but true. I likely ATX and the functionality, but this last go around has destroyed any chance of it being a viable software again.

Who designs tax preparation software that is not compatible with server based networks? Only a company who want to have a customer base that has 100 or less tax clients!!

Problem is, this is costing us money, reputation with our clients and HUGE problems for next year. How many software companies will be able to convert this new ATX disater?

If what I have read here is correct, the new program uses the .NET framework. I do not, so I am no expert in that area. Personally, I gave up using any MS shared runtime libraries (meaning I do not use any MS programming tools) as they are filled with things I never will use, and which I have ZERO control over.

Looking at some wiki information on .NET, there are comments about there being performance issues with "garbage collection". "In large applications, the number of objects that the garbage collector needs to deal with can become very large, which means it can take a very long time to visit and rearrange all of them."