ATX Community

Where do our files go?

mcb39

I spent most of the morning constructing a pretty complicated return. Two HSAs, Two 2106, Sch A, Sch B, Carryover Capital loss as well as wages. Just as I was about to print the first copy, the file froze. Task Manager indicated that ATX was still running, but no matter where I clicked or what I did, I could not proceed. Now, I hit the save button after nearly every document entry. SO; where am I saving it to? Because, in the end I had to close with Task Manager and was unable to re-open the file. Kept getting that weird message about the program not working.

Normally, I would have exported the file to my jump drive before trying to print. This time I didn't and in the end had to do a restore to get into the file and lost EVERYTHING! So, where do all of those saved files go? This is my first experience with this, but as the returns get more complicated, how often is it going to happen. The second time around, I exported to the jump drive several times as I rebuilt the return. That takes time so any help would be greatly appreciated. Wasted nearly an entire day on one return and cannot afford that at this point. :angry:

Several IT people have posted on the ATX board that the ATX backup this year is unreliable and buggy.

This got me thinking, so I checked my restore function:

1. There are 4 more clients listed in my restore function, than in my return manager, hopefully they are all

clients that I deleted in my return manager .

2. More troubling is that 9 of the returns in my restore function do not display a name, however

they still seem to be listed in alpha order. I opened a return that I just completed, saved it

and went back to my restore function, where the name of the return doesn't display.

However it seems to be in the list of clients in the spot in the alpha order where it should be

with the time on the backup file that matches the save that I just did.

3. If anyone has any ideas about how I can get a clients name to display in the restore function?

OK, I figured it out. I found a knowledgebase article that pointed me in the right direction.

The original folder is called "Backup" I created a new folder called "BackupII"

In preferences, I pointed the automatic backup to the new folder. That in itself did not fix the problem.

Closed the program. Opened the program. Under Returns, I selected Backup, picked the new folder, selected all the clients

in my Return Manager and ran a Manual Backup. Rechecked the Restore function selecting the new folder, and everything is there,

with the exception of any previously deleted clients, which are in the original folder "Backup"

Now from time to time, I'll check the new folder to make sure current returns I'm working on are getting updated.

If they're not, I guess I will create create another folder etc.

I've done some further checking and right now it seems to working

OK, I figured it out. I found a knowledgebase article that pointed me in the right direction.

The original folder is called "Backup" I created a new folder called "BackupII"

In preferences, I pointed the automatic backup to the new folder. That in itself did not fix the problem.

Closed the program. Opened the program. Under Returns, I selected Backup, picked the new folder, selected all the clients

in my Return Manager and ran a Manual Backup. Rechecked the Restore function selecting the new folder, and everything is there,

with the exception of any previously deleted clients, which are in the original folder "Backup"

Now from time to time, I'll check the new folder to make sure current returns I'm working on are getting updated.

If they're not, I guess I will create create another folder etc.

Try doing that with 1,400 clients in the list. Takes 2 minutes each to create the new backup. You do the math...

Backup is TOTALLY UNRELIABLE, and I fear for next year.

One thing that the previous 7 years of ATX had was a ROCK SOLID backup file. Apparently the new development team does not understand the importance of secure data backup. Next year will be a NIGHTMARE!!