ATX Community

State 901 error - state return rejected

cpabsd

Anyone else seeing this message or can explain it to me? The state return is rejected with Code State-901. The IRS submission ID referenced int he state submission manifest must be present in the e file database.

The Federal and state returns were created at the same time. Not sure how to solve since cannot really understand what the problem is. I'm seeing it on multiple returns though.

It's that wonderful Modernized Efile (MeF). If you transmit a fed and state linked return at the same time and the IRS processes the state even a millisecond before the fed return, the fed submission ID in the state return isn't recognized and the state return rejects. I've gotten into the habit of sending the fed returns and waiting for them to be accepted before transmitting the state and the State-901 rejects have stopped.

I got a reject on a NC state return for:

[D-400] The Primary SSN in the manifest must match the Primary Filer SSN in the return header. If applicable, the Spouse SSN in the manifest must match the
Secondary Filer SSN in the return header.
XML Path: //ReturnHeaderState/Filer/Primary/TaxpayerSSN
Entry Value: secondary not equal

I had heeded the warnings about filing states after the federal "accepted" and checked the box in TaxWise for "if you want to file this return as unlinked." But got the reject anyway.

So, what am I missing?