ATX Community

OneDesk Software

Terry D EA

Okay, if you view my previous posts you will think I fell off the wagon here. I did download onedesk as they do support the forms for a CRUT return that I have to complete. I did this instead of manually filling the forms out as TaxSlayer Pro currently doesn't support them. OneDesk was free for the first year and it is up an running. Their pricing is fair. Here is what I want to know, those of you who have used it this season, give an honest response to the functionality, ease of use, etc; regarding this software. I don't want sales pitches as to how wonderful it is. No software is perfect and meets all one's desires. I am in the process of trying to make a decision for next year. I really want to stay with TaxSlayer Pro but if they cannot support the forms and changes that I have requested then it will be decision time. I promised my self that I will never make the same mistake again that I did with TRX.

Guest Taxed

Please let us know how Onedesk works for you and what is their 2013 pricing structure? Is this a resell of another brand?

Like you I DO NOT want to pay advance renewal fees after getting burnt.

I purchased OLTPRO this year for $700 and will renew in 2013 for $499. IMO, buying through a reseller isn't worth the risk at those prices.

I put my suggestions for changes in another thread. Don't have a clue how many PRO clients they have so I don't know how responsive they'll be to suggestions.

OLTPRO IMO is more similar to Intellitax than most other pieces of software and there are a few things you need to catch (like estimated taxes paid on state tax don't roll onto the Schedule A.

Grantor trusts don't roll onto the grant letter. I ran it all through and we mailed in a copy of the return and it worked well.

If you buy from OLTPRO they link you with a single rep. All questions flow through that rep and they find the answer for you. I absolutely love that. That rep can't push me off onto someone else.

I still don't see where it does the 1041-a.

Backing up the software was a problem this year. You have to go into the software and transfer the DATA folder to a zip drive. Cumbersome but not a major deal. If you are a tech neophyte, this might be scary. I have the software loaded on a home laptop also and move my data over to it once per week in case of a fire or other tragedy.

Moving from form to form, you have to click SAVE each time. Little odd but not a big deal after a few returns.

I'd run through a bunch of returns. See if it works with your brain and style.

I wish they would upgrade their invoice a little. Seems entirely focused on using a bank product. I enter my own bills which are different for each client - it doesn't itemize well. Personally that would be an exceptionally easy upgrade it seems, we'll see if they implement it.

If you have a bunch of assets to depreciate, entry is a little cumbersome but not end of the world. It could be cleaner - wish they'd utilize something like taxworks used. I thought Taxworks had a very clean asset module in their software.

Having done a season of OLTPRO, I actually like it more than I did TaxWorks.

I am using it. At first it felt awkward but that was only because it was different than what I had been using for years and I had to learn it day one to file returns. For example, clicking on save every time you leave a page was a pain at first, but know I do it without even thinking. Actually I like it now because if there is an error on the page for example you left a required field plank it lets you know right then as opposed to TRX where you get all at the end and the have to go back figure it out.

I like the forms link….ex. Clicking on line 7 and all the forms like W-2 that go on the line are there.

At first I missed peak, but then I realized all the forms are listed on the bottom right of the screen.

I miss the filling instruction form telling the customer what they owe or will be refunded, but I can live without that. I just note it on their invoice. Now the invoice was another thing, I took me a little while to figure out how to get a detailed statement but now that I have it set up, there are no problems.

After e-filing you don’t get the conformation letter that TRX would produce and I missed that at first also but not anymore; I tell my customers if there is a problem I’ll let them know.

In regard to e-filing, I get the status in minutes and I like the where’s my refund link, when it opens to the IRS site it has a box up top with the return info, theis SS# filing status and refund due so I don’t have to look back and forth for or write out the information.

Over all it is a very easy to use program one you get used to the differences from TRX.

Customer service, I find it to be very good, no long waits, if there isn’t a rep available you leave a voice mail and they do get back to you rather quickly.

I found one glitch on Sch. C cost of goods sold line 39 other cost. There is a note pad that opens so you can enter the expenses, it calculates everything fine but then does not create or print out what those expenses are. I called them the end of last week and they are creating the fix. We’ll how fast we get it and I’ll post back.

I have done several 1120S and one 1041 and had no issues. Lots of Sch c but only the one problem with the cost of goods sold section.

Entering asset and depreciation is a little bit different then TRX but after the first time it’s a breeze.

Over all I will most likely use it next year. I just will not purchase early like I did with TRX.

I think they are not 100% MEF this year and that is the only concern I have. I’ll check into that and let you know.

I purchased OLTPRO this year for $700 and will renew in 2013 for $499. IMO, buying through a reseller isn't worth the risk at those prices.

I put my suggestions for changes in another thread. Don't have a clue how many PRO clients they have so I don't know how responsive they'll be to suggestions.

OLTPRO IMO is more similar to Intellitax than most other pieces of software and there are a few things you need to catch (like estimated taxes paid on state tax don't roll onto the Schedule A.

Grantor trusts don't roll onto the grant letter. I ran it all through and we mailed in a copy of the return and it worked well.

If you buy from OLTPRO they link you with a single rep. All questions flow through that rep and they find the answer for you. I absolutely love that. That rep can't push me off onto someone else.

I still don't see where it does the 1041-a.

Backing up the software was a problem this year. You have to go into the software and transfer the DATA folder to a zip drive. Cumbersome but not a major deal. If you are a tech neophyte, this might be scary. I have the software loaded on a home laptop also and move my data over to it once per week in case of a fire or other tragedy.

Moving from form to form, you have to click SAVE each time. Little odd but not a big deal after a few returns.

I'd run through a bunch of returns. See if it works with your brain and style.

I wish they would upgrade their invoice a little. Seems entirely focused on using a bank product. I enter my own bills which are different for each client - it doesn't itemize well. Personally that would be an exceptionally easy upgrade it seems, we'll see if they implement it.

If you have a bunch of assets to depreciate, entry is a little cumbersome but not end of the world. It could be cleaner - wish they'd utilize something like taxworks used. I thought Taxworks had a very clean asset module in their software.

Having done a season of OLTPRO, I actually like it more than I did TaxWorks.

I just looked at their web site, it appears they do not include 1041, I do at least one a year, sometimes several a year

Guest Taxed

Is OneDesk and OltPro the same software with a different logo or are there functional differences. For example the Redgear Taxworks that TRX sold was slightly different in certain features to the Taxworks sold by Redgear directly. The reporting feature and the Asset modules had some features missing in TRX.

Here is what I want to know, those of you who have used it this season, give an honest response to the functionality, ease of use, etc; regarding this software. I don't want sales pitches as to how wonderful it is. No software is perfect and meets all one's desires. I am in the process of trying to make a decision for next year. I really want to stay with TaxSlayer Pro but if they cannot support the forms and changes that I have requested then it will be decision time. I promised my self that I will never make the same mistake again that I did with TRX.

I have prepared close to 100 returns with OneDesk. I switched from TRX after I had to amend 2 returns due to the program not working properly.

I found that there was a minimum learning curve for the program and I got used to its quirks quickly. The client letters are extremely basic (as in I don't like them ) and the program will not produce the client letter until after the return is transmitted. The invoice at the beginning of the year was a mess but they have fixed that now and it isn't so bad. Caution - you cannot efile until you create an invoice - might be a good thing as I usually forget that part. (Yeah, I know that is a duhhh) I have found the functionality to be good and the customer support is excellent. It seems that OneDesk and OLTPro have a good working relationship. Most of the worksheets print the information on the IRS worksheet that you would find in the Form 1040 Instructions or in the Pub 17 so they don't have the fancy look that RedGear had but they are functional. The printing is done in .pdf and goes very quickly for me. One bonus here is that I have found the number of pages per return is less so I save on paper and toner.

If you do a lot of 1120S or 1065 returns it could be cumbersome as there is no partner or shareholder letter and it doesn't print Page 2 of the K-1. Or at least I can't figure out how to get it to print. I have had to set up my own letters outside of the program as well as printing the page 2.

Not a lot of bells and whistles with the program but for me it is workable as all the basics are there. I don't know if this resale package is different than going straight through OLTPro. Perhaps someone else can address that.

I have no clue why their marketing allows for using the program free the first year. I am just grateful they were there when I really needed an alternative to TRX.

Hope this helps.

I just did a 2011 return using my TRX software. After using onedesk all season I find it easier to use then TRX. I keep having issues with the TRX software. I had to reinstall it and for some reason it is not displayed quite right but I'll be D _ _ _d if I call their support team. When I hit audit it show what needs correction but not the far right side where you click to ge to the page.

OneDesk BETTER the TRX

Guest Taxed

Did you say 2011 return on TRX software? That was the Redgear product, and was working pretty good last year. I wish I had that this year. It is the 2012 TRX product (their home brewed software) that is the problem.

I can't answer the question as to what their marketing scheme is and how they can offer it for free. I have completed one individual tax return and have noticed what you all are pointing out. I don't like the letters either. No cover page, and I don't like the fact that their are no shareholder letters and no page 2. I am very detail oriented and want to produce a professional looking tax return. As far as OneDesk being a reseller like TRX was, I certainly hope not cause I surely won't go that route again. I think the renewal for next year (2013) is 499.00. The price is attractive but you got to be careful.

I can't answer the question as to what their marketing scheme is and how they can offer it for free. I have completed one individual tax return and have noticed what you all are pointing out. I don't like the letters either. No cover page, and I don't like the fact that their are no shareholder letters and no page 2. I am very detail oriented and want to produce a professional looking tax return. As far as OneDesk being a reseller like TRX was, I certainly hope not cause I surely won't go that route again. I think the renewal for next year (2013) is 499.00. The price is attractive but you got to be careful.

I'l be waiting till December before I decide.

Sounds like the renewal price for OneDesk is the same as buying it directly from OLTPRO (as a renewal).

I never use client letters but I know in OLTPRO you can build your own letters. If you have a copy of a previous letter you liked, it shouldn't be that difficult to generate a custom version in OLTPRO. It seems pretty easy, just drag and drop the customized portions and type in the letter (or cut and paste). Then save by title or as a standard pre-named letter.

As for a cover, I make my own anyway and print off a pile for the season but I'd imagine that would be exceptionally easy also.

As for backups - I see they added that feature. It wasn't in an earlier version so it must have been included in one of the updates.

I want to know what the difference is between OLTPRO and OneDesk. Same renewal price, or at least very close, what is the difference?

I'd like to know that too. Also OneDesk is offering 30% off but I don't know if that is off the $499 price.

I don't know how to tell who the reseller is, so how do I find that out?

I want to know what the difference is between OLTPRO and OneDesk. Same renewal price, or at least very close, what is the difference?

The OneDeskTax website was registered 11 months ago.

OLTPRO was first offered in 2006, the desktop version was offered initially in 2007. OLT was founded in 1999.

The current owner and developer of OLTPRO is:

John Premkumar has more than 14 years of experience developing software and hardware systems. Prior to joining olt.com in 2002, he served as an application developer, team leader and technical architect at Cerner Corp., a leading supplier of information technology to the health care industry. At Cerner, John played a role in the development of several key products including electronic medical records and medical imaging software.

John earned his bachelor’s degree in engineering and computer science from the Regional Engineering College in Tiruchirapalli, India, and his master’s degree in computer science from Oklahoma State University.

He lives in St Joe Missouri where the company offices are located.

http://www.freeprofessionaltaxsoftware.com/ = www.onedesktax.com

There is NOTHING about onedesktax on their website about who they are or where they are located. Well, a mailing address was added in Florida just a few days ago if you'd like to pay by check when renewing.

Here is the way I look at my TaxExact to OLTPRO conversion.

I got back $580ish from TaxExact in my refund.

Paid OLTPRO $730ish. $150 loss. (would have been painful if not for the refund)

I'm paying $440 to renew this year which will save me $140 over my TRX expected budget.

Moving to working software over 4 months cost me $10. (plus a lot of hours which were unavoidable because of TaxExact) Plus, now I'm not dealing with the potential nightmare of a reseller situation.

If OLTPRO has meetings for their customers in St Joe, I'm close enough I could actually drive to them.

I am using it. At first it felt awkward but that was only because it was different than what I had been using for years and I had to learn it day one to file returns. For example, clicking on save every time you leave a page was a pain at first, but know I do it without even thinking. Actually I like it now because if there is an error on the page for example you left a required field plank it lets you know right then as opposed to TRX where you get all at the end and the have to go back figure it out.

I like the forms link….ex. Clicking on line 7 and all the forms like W-2 that go on the line are there.

At first I missed peak, but then I realized all the forms are listed on the bottom right of the screen.

I miss the filling instruction form telling the customer what they owe or will be refunded, but I can live without that. I just note it on their invoice. Now the invoice was another thing, I took me a little while to figure out how to get a detailed statement but now that I have it set up, there are no problems.

After e-filing you don’t get the conformation letter that TRX would produce and I missed that at first also but not anymore; I tell my customers if there is a problem I’ll let them know.

In regard to e-filing, I get the status in minutes and I like the where’s my refund link, when it opens to the IRS site it has a box up top with the return info, theis SS# filing status and refund due so I don’t have to look back and forth for or write out the information.

Over all it is a very easy to use program one you get used to the differences from TRX.

Customer service, I find it to be very good, no long waits, if there isn’t a rep available you leave a voice mail and they do get back to you rather quickly.

I found one glitch on Sch. C cost of goods sold line 39 other cost. There is a note pad that opens so you can enter the expenses, it calculates everything fine but then does not create or print out what those expenses are. I called them the end of last week and they are creating the fix. We’ll how fast we get it and I’ll post back.

I have done several 1120S and one 1041 and had no issues. Lots of Sch c but only the one problem with the cost of goods sold section.

Entering asset and depreciation is a little bit different then TRX but after the first time it’s a breeze.

Over all I will most likely use it next year. I just will not purchase early like I did with TRX.

I think they are not 100% MEF this year and that is the only concern I have. I’ll check into that and let you know.

It's been a week since I called about the problem with line 39 Sch. C. Still no fix. This is a real concern. The only reason I am not going through the roof it that my customer isn't ready to file yet. BUT WE ONLY HAVE 8 DAYS LEFT

Sort of having the same difficulty here with a trust return. Dan was supposed to call today after the engineers reviewed what I am calling an input error with schedule D. Program is calculating CG tax on a unitrust that all the income flows to the bene. CG usually stays in the trust unless the distribution exceeds the total income. It does and I still can't correct this return!

Sort of having the same difficulty here with a trust return. Dan was supposed to call today after the engineers reviewed what I am calling an input error with schedule D. Program is calculating CG tax on a unitrust that all the income flows to the bene. CG usually stays in the trust unless the distribution exceeds the total income. It does and I still can't correct this return!

I asked again about it and was told that it would be with the return when efiled. Ha. I need to see the list and so does my client. And I don't want to trust that the details will be efiled and not just the totals.

Well here is what I know beyond any doubt. Free or not, reduced price or whatever, I am not going with this crap. I thought it would get me out of the woods with this return. I'd been better off just filling the forms out on the IRS site. I would have been done and not had this on extension. If OneDesk doesn't call back or well, it is definitely thier loss and not mine. See a few of you raved about this because it was free, now I know why.