ATX Community

Strange error

lydia33

I have never had this problem before. Taxapyer's only income from early withdrawal of IRA of $2600.00. Taxes were withheld for $260.00. The taxpayer is not 59 1/2 so owes the penalty. Therefore owes no additional tax.

The error message say: The total federal income tax withheld cannot equal to or be greater thatn the sum of wages etc. It is not. I a have rechecked to see if I made a typo but I did not. Any help from you guys before I call the tech support (hades).

I have never had this problem before. Taxapyer's only income from early withdrawal of IRA of $2600.00. Taxes were withheld for $260.00. The taxpayer is not 59 1/2 so owes the penalty. Therefore owes no additional tax.

The error message say: The total federal income tax withheld cannot equal to or be greater thatn the sum of wages etc. It is not. I a have rechecked to see if I made a typo but I did not. Any help from you guys before I call the tech support (hades).

Is the AGI on the return correct ($2,600)?

It just dawned...the rejection says w/h cannot be more than wages and there are no wages. Could that possibly be what the problem is?

AnnieR

It's the IRS, not the software.

Original version of the error code

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/1346_attach...-11_ty_2007.pdf

"0295 Form 1040 – The Total Federal Income Tax Withheld (SEQ 1160) cannot be equal to or greater than the sum of Wages, Salaries,Tips (SEQ 0375), Taxable Interest (SEQ 0380), Total Ordinary Dividends (SEQ 0394), Taxable IRA Amount (SEQ 0480), Taxable Pensions Amount (SEQ 0495), and Social Security Benefits (SEQ 0553) and the Gross Winnings (SEQ 0040) of Form W-2G."

It was just revised:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/1346fs_chg_08.pdf

"Form 1040 – The Total Federal Income Tax Withheld (SEQ 1160) cannot be equal to or greater than the sum of Wages, Salaries,

Tips (SEQ 0375), Taxable Interest (SEQ 0380), Total Ordinary Dividends (SEQ 0394), IRA Distributions Received (SEQ 0475),

Pensions Annuities Received (SEQ 0485), Unemployment Compensation (SEQ 0552), Social Security Benefits (SEQ 0553),

Amount of Other Income (SEQ 0570) and Gross Receipts of Schedule C/C-EZ (SEQ 0200). Exception: This check is bypassed when Combat Pay has been excluded from Wages. This check is also bypassed if Capital Gain/Loss (SEQ 0450) or Other Gain or Loss (SEQ 0470) or

Rent/Royalty/Part/Estates/Trust Inc (SEQ 0510) is significant (not equal zeroes)."

Wouldn't be surprised if ATX put out an update.

Thanks, but I am happly married for 33 years with two grandchildren. Nice to talk to you on this board because we all need FRIENDS that have this love hate relation with TAXES.

Oh sorry you were referring to my daughter. HA HA yes she is spoiled rotten. She is like me thinking about spring when she can go out side and play.