ATX Community

Forgot Signature!!!!!!! Help!!!!

Super Mom

I had a client yesterday that did a paper return. I had her sign her state but I realized just after she left that I did not have her sign her Federal. By the time I finally got in touch with her that night she had already mailed the Federal unsigned. All of my preperarer info is on there though (printed that way). What should I do? Thanks!!!!

IRS will return it to her for signature. Of course, that will take a few extra weeks, which she may blame you for, but it's just something you have no control over now. You might want to send her a letter explaining what will happen, and offering her a discount for next year's prep, as an apology. Does not cost you anything if you lose her over this, but does offer her an incentive to forgive you.

I had a client yesterday that did a paper return. I had her sign her state but I realized just after she left that I did not have her sign her Federal. By the time I finally got in touch with her that night she had already mailed the Federal unsigned. All of my preperarer info is on there though (printed that way). What should I do? Thanks!!!!

If you have your name PRINTED in the signature spot, that works just as well. I always use a printed signature. It helps especially when you e-mail a return to a client since you can just print and send a PDF of the return without scanning in a signature page.

I remember seeing a letter that the IRS sent to a taxpayer that hadn't signed the return. I don't remember if it was an income tax return or a payroll return, but the letter stated that the return wasn't signed, but if they would sign the form that was with the letter and return it, it would be placed with the return and the return would be considered signed and filed on time. That was some time ago and I don't know if they would do that now or not.

Call IRS Practitioner hotline 1-866-860-4259. Ask them if there's anything to be done other than to wait for it to be returned so she can sign it and send it in again.

Thanks for the advice KC! I was just going to refund her what I charged her this year. But I like your idea better, I'm going to type her a letter now! Thanks for your help!!!!

Atticus, it's not SuperMom's signature that is missing, it is the client's signature. She forgot to get her to sign it before sealing the envelope, or at least that is what she thinks happened. There's always a slight chance that it was signed, I guess.

Okay, I'm confused. Doesn't Circular 230 mandate that we give the client instructions for filing. That's the client letter in ATX. Wouldn't that cover this situation? The client should have read the instructions; no need to refund the fee. ??

Maribeth

What would happen if you efiled the return now? The efile would be accepted by the IRS before the mailed in return got entered into the IRS system, correct? I don't know if an efiled return is even an option for this taxpayer, but does anyone know what would happen when the mailed in return arrives at the service center and a return has already been filed for that year?

u gotta be kidding me, refund a fee over this? the irs will send a letter asking for a signature in liu of rturning the form. [ny returns the whole return]. I agree that if the client is pissed then offer her a discount for next year, or send her a special pen to use for her signatures from now on. then forget it. in the scheme of things we all have much more serious errors, ommisions, delays to worry about.