ATX Community

One widow is very happy today -

jklcpa

The husband died in October 2012. The wife and I were discussing her estimates for 2013 and looking at her current monthly social security benefit payment, I noticed that she didn't receive any increase other than the COLA. Last year's benefits to the husband were $24K and hers were about $11K. With one simple phone call to social security admin, lots of apologies from their representative, and filling out a form, the wife will be getting more than double what she thought she'd have.

• Like 3

Sometimes, I wonder if clients DO understand all the things we can do for them.

Had a client that I checked our states "unclaimed" funds that are turned over to the state from banks, etc. Found over $2k for one client, and another close to $6k.

Rich

Would you mind checking my name?!?!?

And anyone with a client who is a recent widow or widower should remind them that they need to contact SSA to see about adjusting their benefits as a result of their spouses death.

That's just the thing...she and the daughter did check. The daughter works for a law firm that is over at SSA at least once a week and has a contact person there. Daughter will be helping to fix this by delivering the signed form back tomorrow and finding out the exact amount.