ATX Community

E-file error regarding date of death?

Janitor Bob

I am receiving the following e-file rejection error for a taxpayer that passed away in 2012.

IND-035

'PrimaryDateOfDeath' in the return must match that in the e-File database.

/efile:Return/efile:ReturnHeader/efile:Filer[1]/efile:PrimarySSN

Does anybody know what this means? Client's date of death is properly entered in the filers Info section of the 1040.....What/Where is this "e-file database" and why would it not match what I have?

does this maybe mean that the taxpayer's daughter (my client) gave me the wrong date of death?

When I click on the red box in the error, it seems to want to jump to the 1040 EF info form...but there is nothing there related to taxpayer's date of death

JB all of what you are asking is a possibility. I just had the same thing with my grandmother. I entered the wrong date and was only one day off. The taxpayer's date of death comes from the entry on the 1040 form. Haven't used ATX for a while and I forget exactly where this is done. Get in touch with your client and verify the date. It is also possible the IRS has been given the wrong information. Once you get the right date, correct it and all will be fine.