ATX Community

Sad afternoon

joanmcq

About two weeks ago I picked up tax docs from a client that was in the hospital. I finished the return, but couldn't deliver it because he had been released and I couldn't get a moment to go out. I've been meaning to call his spouse to pick them up..today spouse calls me, and comes by " needing to get this done in case". Jesse's crying while he signs and says the liver's failing, and causing the kidneys to fail. Infection is back. He's trying to get all the affairs in order. I told him to let friends take over, and be by his partner's side. Long time clients, good good people. Yes, sometimes we are more than just tax preparers.

And if anyone tries to tell me this couple isn't married, I'll smack them.

• Like 2

I'm sorry. I feel the same way about most of my clients. I've lost some very close ones the last couple of years and I expect to lose several more this year, due to many of them being with me since I was in my early 20's. I pick up a lot of their kids and grandkids, but they are never the same and normally way more demanding than their elders.

This tax year....

Mailed a completed return to a couple 30 miles away. 7 year clients. Mailed the return on March 25. Heard on Sat. morning Mar 30 that he had suddenly passed away on Fri evening, Mar. 29. He was only 60.

Envelope with 8879 and my check arrived on April 2 with his signature dated Mar. 29. Still get chills when I think about it....

I'm sorry. It is hard when we build relationships with our clients over a long career. Most of the people I service are more than just clients to me. I've had 3 recent losses. First was husband of an elderly couple that I've known since college. He died of Alzheimers and in his younger days was brilliant, and to see his mind go and the body waste away was simply awful. Second was a husband that fought melanoma for about 10 years that had finally spread to most of his organs, spine and brain. I delivered their return on a Tuesday in March. He was in a hospital bed in their living room and passed 4 days later on that following Saturday. He was in his early 60s. Third was a friend of my husband's that had dermaschlerosis that affected her lungs as opposed to her skin being affected. She was in her mid 60s and chose not to be on a ventilator and basically died from lack of oxygen.

I think we all are guilty of getting too close to some of our clients. I thought I lost one this year. Just a couple hours ago, a client called asking to drop off thier info, Husband just got out of the hospital and his wife was administering something just as they arrived home and he is struggling. My normal response would be extension and why are you bothering me so late in the season and I mean really?? But, this sure pulls on the heart strings and I should get the info tomorrow and of course, you all know what I will do. You would too.