ATX Community

Yikes! Extension e-File rejection

JJStephens

Client is a US citizen living in Northern Ireland. I e-filed an extension earlier today. Just got a rejection that has a code X0000-005.

Also says XML error. The XML data has failed schema validation. cvc-enumeration-valid. Value "is not facet-valid with respect to enumeration and lists several lines of two-letter codes (country codes?)

It goes on to say: 'In other words . . . The XML data has failed schema validation.'

For the Foreign Country Name I entered United Kingdom and for the Foreign Province I entered Norther Ireland.

I was able to successfully efile last year with those entries. Should I be using a country code instead?

How about one where the spouse's SS has already been used?. I had her stop in after work for the paperwork for identity theft. It wouldn't be so bad, but they are having a Direct Debit of over $3000 because she cashed in a $37000 Retirement plan before moving out. They filed a joint return with three dependent children because they were still married until March of this year. Does anyone know how the IRS will handle this?

Yeah, I thought of that right after I had a minor panic attack!

Any idea what all that gobbledygook means?

"Also says XML error. The XML data has failed schema validation. cvc-enumeration-valid. Value "is not facet-valid with respect to enumeration and lists several lines of two-letter codes (country codes?)"

Interpretation....

ATX did not spell the information the way the IRS wanted it to be.

If you write in a country name instead of using the list it'll also break if the country you enter isn't in the list.

The original country entry was rolled over from last year(when it was successfully e-filed). After the first rejection I re-typed the country name and tried again. It was rejected again.

I didn't realize there was a drop down list until I read your post (thanks for the tip!). I just deleted the country name and then reselected it using the drop down menu. Hope it works.

I wouldn't do a direct debit in an ID theft circumstance. Paper check, with note as to possible ID theft.

It was already filed, both Fed and WI. She was going home to call their special ID theft number and I gave her the Form 14039 which they will require her to fill out and send to them. I would hope that they would be willing to wait for their money in a case like this. People getting refunds wait six to eight months under the same circumstances. I am waiting for her to let me know what the IRS advises her to do.