ATX Community

Splitting refund into two different checking accounts

Janitor Bob

I know that when filing electronically, you can split yoour refund direct deposit into different accounts...but can you do the same when you paper file?

My client's e-filed return was rejected because his ex claimed the kid for HOH and EIC. She had only $600.00 income for the year and $48 tax withheld...so HOH got her nothing and EIC only got her a small amount. If my client takes the child for HOH and EIC, it increases his refund by over $3,000. From what I can see (months lived with each and support) it looks like my client "should" get HOH and EIC.....but to avoid ugliness, client wants the Ex to agree (with 50/50 split of the refund) and have me amend her return. It is a win/win for both......She agrees, but only if we can have 1/2 of his refund deposited into her checking account......Since she already filed, his return will need to be paper-filed (after I mail her amendment). Can this splitting of direct deposit be done when paper-filing?

Yeah, that sort of situation tens to be a no-win game, often deteriorates into all-out war, and you can end up collateral damage. At least that form gives you a way to protect yourself from having to side with either one. We used to have to do things like having the refund go to a lawyer to be divided,not a very good option, but the best we could offer before the new option of the 8888.