ATX Community

Recommendation.

rob

We want a program that will manage all our tax / payroll clients from the time they come in the door to the time we try to find them all to include for extensions (which is why we are looking).

We have variations of same (but they don't do all that we want).

We'd like a client management program that will work in a network environment, be easy to use, maybe support bar coding, rich with custom reporting.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

>>a program that will manage all our tax / clients from the time they come in the door to the time we try to find them all to include for extensions<<

It sounds like you aren't getting past the first interview, so you don't actually need tax or payroll software. I recommend this simple intake sheet from IRS

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13614c.pdf

It helps determine what documents to ask for, and also meets your need for contact information!

Guest Taxed

Rob do you have mostly walk in customers or referrals. If it is walk in f13614c will work most of the time because that is what IRs VITA people use. If it is referrals, then you should have a basic idea of the situation from your referral source.

I have not seen any CMS package that does all that in the mid tiered tax prep software( ATX, Drake, Taxwise etc.) Perhaps some of the higher priced accounting office automation software may do that.

Years ago, KC mentioned Time & Chaos. It has since morphed on to Intellect which will also handle emal. Our office went to this software because Outlook just couldn't handle our needs on the network. The software is completely networkable, it's usable and I would recommend it. http://www.chaossoftware.com/

It has a time & billing module also but I didn't care for it so for time & billing we use TPS Software.

For project managed, File in Time.

Wish all of those 3 programs were all in one but they are not. If there is such a thing, I would like to know about it also!

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

I have been using Outlook for years for appointment/task/scheduling. I looked at the online demo of the Intellect CMS software. Looks a lot like Outlook.

What are the major differences other than network issues?

Can you use it as a mail list manager? For example if you want to send a brief newsletter to all your contacts with tracking?

The price $60 is very reasonable. Do you have to renew each year to update the calendar?

Two that I can think might fit your needs are:

1. Office Tools which includes everything you are looking for and more, and does billing. Bit more that I was looking for when I tested it, but it is still on my list of possibles

http://www.officetoolspro.com/

2. Sage Act! - Very sophisticated, very customizable, little more reasonably priced and they have been around for forever (although not always owned by Sage). 2 versions as well; Pro and Premium. Pro may be enough and is only $222.

http://na.sage.com/sage-act

• Like 1

On Chaos , you buy the version. I am currently on version 3 and have had several free updates to the program. They currently have a new version, version 4, that I will have to pay for when I upgrade to that version. Have not had to do so and have not paid any more money since I bought the original product. (so I guess the answer to your question is that no, unlike QB, ATX and darn near every other software in the Universe, you do not have an annual update fee)

Yes, you can use it as a mail manager. We sent out periodic newsletters to different types of clients and use the software for that.

I recommend it highly. To me it is more functional than Outlook, easier to handle, you call support and you get a real person with real technical knowledge.

• Like 1

One other difference - Intellect allows you to intentionally schedule a conflict. Nice feature in case you using it to schedule events for several people who may or may not be using the same resources.

(e.g. wife's book club and my tax appointment can both be scheduled for 10am next Friday unless they're at the same place.)

If you use higher end tax software, they probably have other "workflow" products that work together, both within and outside the tax software. ProSystem fx does. (I'm a sole proprietor so don't need some of those additional products.) If you're looking to change from ATX, then consider the whole package of products as you shop and demo.

Guest Taxed

Good point. The reason I used Outlook and it that I am a sole prop and during tax season get additional help. Outlook works very well on the network so others can book/change appointments and update. Plus the fact that all of us can use all the products of Microsoft Office suite.

What I am exploring is a maillist program that integrates with Outlook so that I can do my newsletters using my Outlook contacts seamlessly. Most mail list managers want you to export the contacts then edit them before you can do bulk mailings.

Few years back I setup a website and requested all my clients to visit that to get updated tax news. submit their pre-season tax organizer etc. book appointments. I did not get much response to that and the general client feedback was it was "too much work" for them.