ATX Community

ULTRATAX NEGOTIATION

Mike D

I met the Ultratax group representing former Tax Works users at the NY Accounting and Technology Show May 2, 2013. I presented them with the following set of facts and circumstances:

Many former TRX users as well as many other small practices would be very interested in Ultratax.

The price range that most were paying was between $299 & $699.

The last product that was considered acceptable from TRX was 2011 Tax Works 1040 which was a watered down version of the full Tax Works suite.

I was advised that they would be interested in discussing further and will contact me directly.

I have previously attempted to create a listing of those of us that would be interested in pursuing this solution. To date I have received 20 inquiries, including myself.

I am certain that there are many additional hundreds of practices out there that for the right product and price would be interested as well. The higher the number of potential customers, the greater the leverage we have for pricing.

I plan on discussing any options with Ultratax and once I am clear that they are serious I will post the name of the representative to contact should you be interested.

In my opinion Ultratax is the best tax software product available on the market today, albeit one of the most expensive!

They are now offering a fixed price to all former Tax Works users at the same rate that they last paid for 3 full years. Wouldn’t it be great if we could actually contract with the company directly and not have to concern ourselves with which software will we be using next year?

Thanks to all.

Mike Dubin CPA

Guest Taxed

Mike I am sure you will agree with me that in light of the May and June deadlines to lock in early renewal price with most vendors like Drake, CCH etc. Ultratax needs to give us the price real soon.

Do you know what Ultratax offered the Taxworks users. What does last paid for 3 years exactly mean?

Is there any possibility they may offer Ultrattax (may be a lite version) for $699

I am afraid they may drag this on till the fall and give a price too late for most of us to use for 2013.

Hopefully I will see them at the IRS Nationwide forums this summer. Still have not received the demo I requested!

I'll be buying Drake sometime in the next two weeks. If there's an answer from UltraTax before then, I'm happy to listen! But after everything that happened this past off-season, my tolerance for delays is essentially zero. Simply not worth the hassle.

FWIW, I got different info from an UltraTax salesperson I spoke with about converting over from TaxWorks - she said "It’s 50% off the first year, 35% off the second year, and 20% off the 3rd year." Obviously, that's still ferociously expensive, so I'm curious to hear what kind of deal you might be able to work out.

Guest Taxed

Unless I am completely clueless, the Ultratax website that is dedicated to taxworks users just has a few video testimonials. I was looking for some more substantial information to help us decide??

Ultratax is charging former Tax Works users the same price that they last paid for the software guaranteed for 3 years.

I did in fact stress to them that time is of the essence as many software companies offer early discounts.

I will keep all posted.

Mike Dubin CPA

Thanks, Mike. My questions would be:

• Is this true even if we got TaxWorks through a reseller (TRX)?
  • Is it true even if we didn't use TaxWorks for 2012? (Most of us didn't, for obvious reasons.)
  • What's included? Federal? State? Business? E-file? Is it their desktop version, or their cloud version?

Guest Taxed

I seriously doubt TR would let go of UltrataxCS for $699. Unless it has e-file or PPR charges in addition.

If you think about it we got a very good deal (pricewise) for the last 3 years!

Ultratax indicated to me that they would acknowledge former TRX users of Tax Works.

We are still in discussion stage however they are aware of the Tax Works product that was provided us by TRX as well as the pricing.

I am awaiting a call from their sales people to further discuss and will let you know as I hear.

In the meantime any of you that have not formerly made yourselves known and who wish to pursue this venture, please post here and/or send me a pm.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

Mike,

I am a Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time user of ATX, and this year's less than stellar product has made my decision to "retire" very easy.

However, I am looking for a product for 50 ish returns with efiling and 5 out-of-NYS returns (VT & DE). Price in the $500/ range since most are slacker family memebers!

So, count me in please!

Terry O

Guest Taxed

Terry O, I would not hold much hope getting Ultratax CS in the price range that TRX charged for Taxworks. Even if they made some accomodation the software will be restricted and may have PPR charges etc.

To get any tax software in the price range that you mentioned it will be most likely a reseller of a brand name or TaxAct professional!

I received a call today from Zac Meyer, Ultratax Manager of Tax Works Transition Team. We discussed the issues of all former TRX members who had used Tax Works through 2011.

These were his propsals.

Guarantee all Tax Works pricing for 3 years 2013 through 2015.

Tax Works pricing was

Silver package $1,795 !040, limited states, etc

Gold package $2,295 Silver package plus business entities all states, document manager 1 seat, etc.

Platinum package $2,795 Gold package plus additional busim=ness entities, document manager 8 seats, etc.

If you wish to pursue this offering and/or require any further information you can contact Zac directly at 855 244-5982.

Best of luck to all.

Mike Dubin CPA

Guest Taxed

After reading all the posts from folks trying to negotiate a price with Ultra Tax and Prosystems Fx, the quotes are all over the lot!

Someone got a quote for $8500 (ATX user). Taxwork users are getting a deal then at $2795?

I think the last post someone was quoted $12000?

It's like buying a used car!!

Like everything in tax, it's case by case! Volume, # of licenses, individuals &/or entities, how many states, and on and on. TaxWorks users trading up to UT are getting a great deal. The rest is up to negotiation. I think some deadlines are coming up 15 May or end of May, so talk to your sales reps again!

Guest Taxed

If I remember correctly the Taxworks platinum package included the following:

1120S

All states with EF

Arkworks (Their paperless office manager)

So if you are a current Ultratax user or a new customer and you are paying more than $2795 for all of that, you know where to start the conversation!