ATX Community

Letter from Phil for Taxworks Users

Guest Taxed

Guest Taxed

Just received a letter from Phil Drake directed to former Taxworks users. It basically says that before you switch to TR product give Drake a fair shake!

One sentence in the letter that caught my eye, "Choose a software company that will stick with you for years to come. Don't choose one whose prices will triple or quadruple in 2015"

He must have some idea of how TR works? Lowball Taxworks users to bring them in then increase renewal fees gradually.

The letter does NOT offer any discounts. You are directed to call a toll free # and they will provide testimonial from Taxworks users who have switched.

Mr. Drake how about a discount to help us make the switch? We have TRX users also that was a watered down version of Taxworks!

Guest Taxed

Ultratax CS has always been at the upper end of pricing like Lacerte. How long can a company offer discounted price to a subset of their users. The others will revolt once the word gets out. I think it is a lure and once they settle in the price will keep on going up until it is levels off!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't hold your breath for a discount. If you miss the May 31st discount of $1095, expect to pay more later! That said, Drake is fully refundable till late Nov or early Dec. I think Dec 1st this year, but don't quote me on that.

In general, due to Drakes already competitive price, Drake does not give any additional discounts to jump ship. I switched mid-season and fought hard for an additional discount and was told that the best they would do was $1,395.00 ($100 off the $1495 price).

Possible exceptions for multi-office discounts.

BTW, I already renewed.

I am going to put in my order for Drake's unlimited version before the end of this month too. I'm waiting another few days until after my credit card's billing cycle cuts off so that I won't have to pay a penny toward this until mid-July.

Guest Taxed

I wonder if Drake accepts Paypal?? Paypal has that Bill Me Later option if you pay over $600 and you can get 6 months interest free loan. If you miss the final payment date then interest is charged retroactive.

I wouldn't know if Drake accepts Paypal but I kind of doubt it. I hope my post didn't sound like I can't afford to pay the bill because I could pay it in full right now by check. I will put it on the business credit card simply because I like to get the best price, and I will gain an extra month to pay it by waiting a couple of more days for the billing cycle to end. I'll pay off the balance at that time and won't have any interest charged at all.

• 3 weeks later...