ATX Community

Typing notes on a draft tax return

ILLMAS

Guest Taxed

I use the 3M sticky tapes to put one line notes in client copy if necessary. If you print notes on the only client copy you provide they may not be able to use that if they have to fax it to a bank or other place that may demand a copy of the tax return. They will be calling you for another copy.

Obviously if you put print any note on the paper return that is actually filed, it will be ignored by IRS.

jasdlm on onenote: how do you use it? Off the cuff notes? how do you save? how do you file the note, label the folder, etc? I now have a win8 laptop and a windows os phone (in addition to office desktop W7). I'd like to be able to make notes on one, send to the others and have them in the file where I'll see them and have the reminder to myself.

I have Onenote on my desktop, laptop and tablet. I take all of my client notes on Onenote. My 3 devices Sync through Skydrive, so my notes are always up to date regardless of the device I'm using. I suppose I could also take notes on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (my phone) and sync them the same way, but it's easier to take the notes on the tablet (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1), and I almost always have it with me. I file the notes by Client, and within the Client folder, by date unless I want to label a page by a specific project. I also keep a 'to-do' file in One-Note with the pages filed by date. This also Syncs on all 3 devices.

I integrate One-note with Outlook, so during client meetings, I can grab a note I have just taken and make it a 'task' or email it to one of my staff members to delegate a 'task'. I can also email the Onenote page to my clients if I want to share with them notes for a particular meeting.

I'm not using the system perfectly yet. There is so much more that it can do, but I'm kind of a slow learner on the technology front. Let me know if I can give you any more information. So far, I really like the system. In particular, I love taking notes during client meetings on my tablet. I use the S-Pen, so it is no more intrusive than writing on a pad of paper. The tablet converts my handwritten notes to typed text (can stay as handwritten, but I prefer the typed). I don't like to type during client meetings because I feel like it's distracting.