ATX Community

New York to Suspend Driver’s Licenses of Tax Delinquents

kcjenkins

A trend starting?

New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced a new initiative Monday to encourage individuals who owe significant back taxes to the state to pay their bills by suspending their New York State driver licenses when their past-due tax liability exceeds $10,000. The new initiative is estimated to increase collections in the Empire State by $26 million this fiscal year and as much as $6 million annually thereafter.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/New-York-Suspend-Driver-Licenses-Tax-Delinquents-67650-1.html?ET=webcpa:e7532:61496a:&st=email

In Rhode Island, they hold back on issuing ALL types of licenses (drivers, professionals etc), not just drivers.

Good. In my state you lose that if you are delinquent on child support.

That's funny, when you have joint custody of a child, your spouse can complain to the courts that you don't have a working car to take the child to the hospital in case of an emergency, but they can suspend your license for delinquent child support.

Judge: "Why haven't you paid child support"

Parent: "I have a suspended license therefore I cannot drive or go to find work"

Judge: "Yes, that law stinks"

Guest Taxed

As you know driver's license is not a right but a priviledge. According to our court reporting, delinquent fathers pay up promptly or become in payment status as soon as they are pulled over by a cop for driving with a suspended license. The car is towed and you spend the night in jail!

One of my clients told me that she started getting her payments as soon as her Ex spent a night in jail!

I am a divorced parent. I paid child support for 13 years. Never more than 2 weeks delinquent (job change) but within 4 weeks was back current again. In addition, I spent hundreds more on my children. The are MY children, so it was not a chore. I was their only help to get though college (3 of them) and was glad to do it. For 11 kid/college years, my ex-wife may have contributed $1,000 total.

From 2002 till 2010 inclusive, I had children in college. Two years there were 2 in at the same time. If the middle child had chosen more than 2 years, his third year, all 3 would have been in college at the same time.

I have ZERO tolerance for any person of either gender that does not provide for their children. Has it been easy? Raising and providing for my children has been the most difficult thing I have ever done. Do I regret any of it? NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!

I dare any of those that are delinquent in their child support to look me in the eye and give me a REAL reason they are not providing for THEIR children!!

• Like 3

>>Seize their cars/trucks<<

That's better than just taking their license, which they merrily ignore. But all that would happen is their new ladyfriend would just buy another car in her own name. What I can't figure out is why a woman would be attracted to a man who cheats his own kids.

>>Seize their cars/trucks<<

That's better than just taking their license, which they merrily ignore. But all that would happen is their new ladyfriend would just buy another car in her own name. What I can't figure out is why a woman would be attracted to a man who cheats his own kids.

Well, we agree on something else!! At the firm for 2012, I think we did 120 NEW injured spouse forms where the spouse had delinquent child support.

This is an area that I take very personally!! The children are MINE, and my disputes with their mother is not their fault, nor any reason for me not to take care of them. Even when I had no control over how she wasted the child support money, I set an example and sent a message to my now grown children that following the law, despite disagreeing with it, is the right thing. Also, taking care of your children is NOT optional, it is mandatory. I was diligent for 12 years.

• Like 1