ATX Community

Ohio Help

Lion EA

Have an old client who moved back to CT during 2012 from Ohio. Her things are still boxed up in her mother's house as they're trying to sell it (mother passed away) so hasn't found her 2011 return. I need to know her Ohio County name and Public School District code. Her address there was

9212 Deercross Pkwy

Blue Ash, OH 45236

She thinks she may have been in Montgomery County. She also said she paid Blue Ash taxes quarterly and spoke with them before she left in June 2012 and was told she was paid through the end of June. Her W-2 has locality name as OH BLUEA.

Anything else I need to know? Is the OH web site helpful? My software does have a locality code for Blue Ash, but am not sure about finding the county &/or the school district without knowing the county &/or school district.

Thank you for any direction you can give me.

Thank you. You may hear from me tonight. I think it's looking OK now. (She also has a MA W-2 which was in error. She worked only in CT while residing in CT, but one job w/h for MA for awhile until they got it stopped but did not reverse their error. I don't like the way the MA looks/flows. But, I have all her withholding coming back, so I think it's good enough for this late in the season.)

Lion if a corrected W2 was issued that showed no MA tax and she was a resident of CT and did NOT work at all in MA jurisdiction then I would recommend filing a Form 1 (non resident) with that corrected W2 to get the refund just to get the MADOR records straight.

If the MADOR records are still inaccurate then you can expect an intent to access notice like 2 years from now and then you will have to scramble for all the prior records.

Client no longer works for that employer, wants nothing to do with that former employer, and did not get a corrected W-2. So, the W-2 shows MA-sourced income when the client never worked in or resided in MA. Company did stop it when client complained after a paycheck or two but did not reverse it, so it's maybe 1/12 of her total income. Her work location was always in CT for that employer after she moved back to CT and went to work for them. It's low enough that I can get all her w/h back even though its' still showing the W-2 MA amount on the non-resident MA return, so I'm happy for now. I'll warn her about the letter. Thanks for the heads up. She did call last night to say she found the box with her 2011-2012 financial documents, was in her bedroom and not in the stacks of boxes in the basement after her move, some very damp. I'll tell her to keep everything from that time frame. I think she found the offer letter that includes when and where she worked.

She is lucky that the MA sourced income was below the threshold and she will get her witholdings back. In the last couple of years since we had a new commissioner of taxes the MADOR has gotten very aggressive on non resident returns I have noticed.

I have a couple now full time resident of Florida, paying back taxes on MA sourced income when they were snowbirds!