ATX Community

Interesting Article - To Keep In Mind During Tax Season

kcjenkins

Sounds like a weekly Sabbath is actually vitally important.

I also now feel much better about the walking, light reading, and fiddle playing I use to take breaks.

I remember when I was in college (note to Bulldog Tom; your son should pay attention to this) that the work load was extremely heavy and at times I could actually *feel* that my brain was "full" and could not process anything new; it needed a break. Really a feeling like having a measuring cup, open-top, full to the brim with only surface tension keeping it from spilling over, in place of my brain.

No one will see me signing up for three months of meditation anytime soon, though. I did note that the article said nothing about prayer -- and while I don't recall where at the moment, I did read, some time ago, that prayer can have the same effect on the mind as meditation.

Yes, the three months seems extreme, but two weeks of being closed after Thanksgiving might be a smart thing to plan for. And a couple of long weekends during the season, that you plan and make absolute no taxes, no phone, no emails, just rest and peace and quiet, might actually make you more productive than if you had worked those extra days. It's worth thinking about.

• Like 2

Sounds like a weekly Sabbath is actually vitally important. I also now feel much better about the walking, light reading, and fiddle playing I use to take breaks. I remember when I was in college (note to Bulldog Tom; your son should pay attention to this) that the work load was extremely heavy and at times I could actually *feel* that my brain was "full" and could not process anything new; it needed a break. Really a feeling like having a measuring cup, open-top, full to the brim with only surface tension keeping it from spilling over, in place of my brain. No one will see me signing up for three months of meditation anytime soon, though. I did note that the article said nothing about prayer -- and while I don't recall where at the moment, I did read, some time ago, that prayer can have the same effect on the mind as meditation.
I have had exactly this same feeling/visualization! Mine has a coffee filter at the bottom though, and the knowledge needs to filter down before I can accept any more. This was especially present while I was getting my Masters degree. Of course now I tell people my brain is too full of tax info to remember much else.
  • Like 2

Well, I have to admit that every Thursday night is date night with my wife. No office, no taxes, no neighbors, no kids, no problems, no pressure, what a relief it is, after all she is worth more than any business and the reason for the business is her. Kind of sappy, huh?

My husband and I have date night on Fridays every week. We go bowling in a league, eat out (usually just a hamburger, but neither of us has to do dishes!), and go home and watch a little TV together or shoot a game of pool. NO TAX TALK, no worrying about problem clients, just time together doing something we both enjoy. My favorite day of the week!

• Like 1

I had a standing policy of NO tax returns Fri night from 3 pm on. And, since I work from home, it was a treat to take the kids out to Micky D's and a walk through a mall - -just to get away from the business. Sundays were also a day where I would work in the office until noon - - the rest of the day was family time. I have done this for the past 32 years!!!

• Like 1

My husband and I have date night on Fridays every week. We go bowling in a league, eat out (usually just a hamburger, but neither of us has to do dishes!), and go home and watch a little TV together or shoot a game of pool. NO TAX TALK, no worrying about problem clients, just time together doing something we both enjoy. My favorite day of the week!

Studies have shown that middle aged couples who still have dates with their significant other like they used to when they were young have a better overall satisfaction in the relationship. The communication breakdown is the biggest reason why so many relationships fall apart in later years.

• Like 1