ATX Community

Affordable Care Act

Christian

Like all of you I have been watching the rollout of Obamacare. In Virginia we did not elect to set up a state exchange. This kept an expansion of Medicaid in our state from occurring.

This being so is it y'all's understanding that low income folks then qualify for credits on the purchase of insurance on the federal exchange?

As I understand it, in those states which choose not to expand Medicaid, there will be a gap between that MAGI

that allows you to qualify for Medicaid and the MAGI that allows you to qualify for health insurance thorough

the ACA exchange. If your MAGI falls in this gap, then your only option would be a standard individual health

insurance policy with no credits. There have been some articles written about this gap, if you want to google.

low income folks then qualify for credits on the purchase of insurance on the federal exchange?

Income below 100% of poverty line does not qualify for a subsidy. I expect this to be addressed next year, along with workers who can't afford qualifying employer plans. It was not the intention of the law and isn't in any politician's interest.

Income below 100% of poverty line does not qualify for a subsidy. I expect this to be addressed next year, along with workers who can't afford qualifying employer plans. It was not the intention of the law and isn't in any politician's interest.

Another "woops?" Maybe it should have been read by all the Senators that back-doored it into law BEFORE passing it?

Once taxpayers see their neighbors in states that expanded medicaid get coverage there will be enough political pressure in those states to expand as well. Ohio is just the tip of the iceberg.

Like all of you I have been watching the rollout of Obamacare. In Virginia we did not elect to set up a state exchange. This kept an expansion of Medicaid in our state from occurring.

This being so is it y'all's understanding that low income folks then qualify for credits on the purchase of insurance on the federal exchange?

Here is a link to the explanation on healthcare.gov

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-my-state-is-not-expanding-medicaid/#state=new-jersey

Once taxpayers see their neighbors in states that expanded medicaid get coverage there will be enough political pressure in those states to expand as well. Ohio is just the tip of the iceberg.

Or they will move to the states where their neighbors are getting more from the government.

After all, that's how things are supposed to work in a Federal System.

Or they will move to the states where their neighbors are getting more from the government.

After all, that's how things are supposed to work in a Federal System.

Some will try. I had a client from CT who moved to MA just for our insurance.