ATX Community

Hello! computers expert

Lucho

My computer with Windows Vista has 2GB memory and the instruction tells me that can support 4GB; and it's exactly ATX's recommendation for 2013 program.

The question: What do I do first? Install the extra 2GB memory and then upgrade to Windows 7? or the other way around.

I heard that adding memory sometimes may cause troubles.

Thank you for your help.

Lucho

Your right. I am triyng to set my mind on what to do.

this is what happens: there are two computers with windows 8 in the market, one is practically a lap top without cd and dvd drives (it has to be bought separate), the other is a tower only (I need to buy the monitor and keyboard separate too. Out of the two options I prefer the first one; my big concern is that it can be easily stolen from my little home office as I live alone, I have a full time job and I do my practice during evenings and keekends only.

Thank you again.

Lucho

If your real concern is theft from your house, i don't think the thieves will care what they are stealing (laptop or tower). They will steal anything they can unload and make some quick money.

If you are in the market for a Windows 8 computer. Do check out Dell.com. Last week I saw a i5 computer for $499 (without monitor). Comes with wired keyboard and mouse. Has 8GB memory and 1TB HD.

Lucho, please post the specs of the laptop you are referring to, for some reason I am afraid that laptop is design for social media use.

Thank you very much.

Here is the Specs.

HP 20-k127C Windows 8

Intel core i5-4200U 4GB SDRAM 1TBHYBRID SSD

Built in battery 802.11a//b/g/n/ac wireless

Blue Tooth 4.0 and widi Beats Audio USB 3.0

Plus wireless keyboard and mouse.

Lucho

HP 20-k127C Windows 8. Retails for around $900. The only disadvantage for business use is that you need an external DVD reader/writer.

Processor & Memory:

• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor 2.6GHz
  • 3MB Cache
  • 4GB DDR3 SODIMM

Drives:

• 1TB 2.5" Solid State Hybrid Drive
  • 8GB SATA 6G solid-state drive acceleration cache
  • No Internal DVD or CD Drive

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 8 (64-bit)

• Windows 8 is Beautiful, fast, and fluid.
  • Personalized: Make your Start Screen your personalized home for the things you care about. Organize and customize it the way you want.
  • Connected: Now everything is in one place to share. Integrate your online favorites – Facebook, Flickr, Hotmail, etc. – with content from your PC., such as photos and contacts.
  • Touchable: The new Windows 8 has been redesigned for touch but still works great with a mouse and keyboard

Graphics & Video:

• 10 point touch-enabled 20” diagonal IPS widescreen HD LED backlit display (1600x900)
  • Intel HD Graphics 4400

Communications:

• Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n/ac featuring Dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 2x2 MIMO and integrated Bluetooth® 4.0 and WiDi
  • 10/100 Base-T Network
  • HP TrueVision HD Webcam and built in microphones

Audio:

• Integrated Beats™ audio

Keyboard:

• HP Wireless chiclet-style keyboard with volume control

Expandability (Total Slots):

• Total Memory Slots: 2 SoDIMM
  • 1 PCI-E x1 mini socket slot
  • 1 PCI-E x 0.5 mini socket slot

Ports:

• 3 USB 3.0 ports (2 left, 1 right)