ATX Community

PDF of Drake screen codes

Guest Taxed

>>> box at the lower part of most data entry screens (maybe I'll come back and edit this later when I'm in the office)

I will help you out JohnH. That box is called Selector box!

It is hard to remember because the box says Enter Screen, State or City Code. May be they need to put a little title on top of that box!

It's interesting to see all the hoops everyone is having to jump through to get started this year. I know they have all their very good reasons for sticking with ATX, but I just don't get it.

On Dec 31 I renewed Drake for the upcoming tax season. Downloaded the program on the same computer I've been using the last 3 years, which took about 15 minutes altogether. Then I set & updated a couple of preferences and I was done.

While preparing payroll reports for a couple of accounting clients, I switched over to Drake and entered their W2 info just to get a snapshot of where the clients will stand this year. No fancy "rollover" required - I just entered their SocSec number, it asked a question about a couple of forms, and the return opened. A few numeric entries later I was looking at their 2013 return - still marked "Draft" of course, but basically done except for tweaking non-W2 info.

Sure is a less-stressful process than agonizing over whether the software is going to perform up to expectations this year. And no need to spend a bunch of money buying computers with the capabilities of running a nuclear power plant.

• Like 1

Amen!

I would like a show of hands of folks who have converted to Drake for this season.

I just updated CWU because this week I got to start to do the W2s for my payroll clients.

This will be my first year using Drake and so far it looks good. Last year I used TasSlayer and it was a nightmare. Their logic does not match my logic at all. I'm thinking about using their CWU. I am using Medlin at present and really like it but it can't be used on a network. I set up a network when my wife retired and is now working with me.

JohnH, Thanks for the comments. I have both programs this year. I'm trying not to get discouraged with Drake. I'm getting the impression though, the more I learn it, the more I'll be a true convert. What are you using as a backup program? I believe you were one of the biggest proponents last year of everyone having a 2nd program. Another reason I bought both programs this year.

What areas of Drake are you finding a challenge?

Is it the data entry, not knowing where things go?

Have you looked at the various cheat sheets they have. I posted them before and I have them in a clear cover for handy access!

I am again going with my backup software, Intuit PPR.

If ATX 2013 runs without any glitch this season and I see good reviews, I may consider it as my backup for 2015.

Taxed, I've only just begun. I looked at some of their tutorials, but with those kinds of things, I usually forget by the time I need to use the particular app. I've muddled my way around in the setup and input screens. Picked up a few things already from this forum. Are the cheat sheets on the Drake website? With me, I don't think I'll really learn until I get into real time work flow experience. I know it will be slow at first. I think the cheat sheets will help me learn on the fly without having to hunt around too long.

The January 1 release of Drake 2013 and the 2014 Client Write Up are now available for download at the support site.

WHAT’S IN THIS RELEASE

• Software for sending live transmissions to the IRS and approved states

• Federal and state tax compliance programs. Most state forms and packages are live on this version.

• Software tools, reports, setup, and Drake Document Manager

IMPORTANT DATES

January 2, 2014:

· Drake begins receiving 1040 and business returns for 2011 through 2013

· Drake begins receiving 1041 returns for 2013

· Drake begins transmitting to the CA Department of Revenue

· Drake begins receiving 94X returns

· January 13, 2014: Drake begins transmitting all business and 1041 returns to IRS.

· January 13, 2014: Drake begins transmitting 94x returns to the IRS.

· January 31, 2014: Drake begins transmitting 1040 returns to the IRS; customers begin receiving first IRS 1040 acknowledgements and bank acknowledgements.

If you need assistance or have questions, please contact us at 828-524-8020.

EDIT: After installation make sure at the bottom it says version: P2. <date> The P2 is the key that you have the correct working copy, not the initial release that was just Organizers.

• Like 1

Presently, ATX is my backup software. I don't purchase the backup software due to my low volume of returns, but I do have a selection. That's one of the reasons I continue to participate on the Unofficial ATX Community, although the greater reason it that I enjoy the comraderie and the quality of the tax-related discussion is superb. Because I'm transitioning into retirement, the number of returns I prepare is decreasing each year, but if I prepared a significant number of returns I would buy the backup software on a PPR basis and would actually use it on a few in order to be up to speed on it, as I've stated in other posts. I have tested TaxSlayer and could use it in a pinch, although I agree with you it's a little clunky. My ultoimate backup is Form 4868, which I use extensively even when all is going well with my software.

As for the Drake training, it's very easy to get real-time Drake training if you have two monitors, or two computers side-by-side. (I have both - my main computer has dual monitors and then I have a second computer beside it using a single monitor). A third alternative is to have a smart phone or tablet device beside your computer - the only requirement is that it must be able to run flash player. II can't get my iPad to run flash player, so I think the device has to be something other than an iPad.

You open the Drake software on one monitor to begin preparing the return. You open the Drake tutorial on the other monitor (or other device), and run it while you are preparing the return. You can stop the tutorial, back up, or skip ahead as your needs require. There are several very good tutorials on the Drake web site suitable for doing this.

• Like 1

I mentioned the Selector Box in an earlier post (after Taxed was kind enough to remind me of its name). As I'm getting oriented with Drake this morning, I must re-emphasize the importance of that box - it really is the secret to navigating around in the Drake program. Understanding how it works is a major part of the secret to breaking the dependence upon forms-based data entry. You use this box as a "Pivot Point" for getting to any part of the return quickly.

Attached is a pdf of the 2012 list. (As Judy pointed out, my attempted attachment didn't work)

I expect 2013 will be the same (or similar).

If you look closely, you'll see that the first column is the tax return line number, the second column is the description, and the third column is the "magic entry" which jumps you to the appropriate data input screen. In come cases there are multiple ways to accomplish this. (Note the E, K1P, KiS, K1F, and 4835 choices for line 17, for example. Very logical and concise) The "magic entry" is never more than 4 keystrokes. Anyhow, this actually duplicates the jump you get by double-clicking on an ATX form to navigate around the return.

I think this might be the listing of the screen codes for Drake that John was referring to:

{deleted attachment}

Sorry the title of the thread changed. I had to post this in the main forum and then merge the 2 threads, so this topic picked up my title. Sorry about that. Still learning some things. :huh:

Amen!

I would like a show of hands of folks who have converted to Drake for this season.

I just updated CWU because this week I got to start to do the W2s for my payroll clients.

I have switched to Drake. So far it's not bad. I am practicing with my own return. I had to override ( is that what it is, when you enter and number next to the = sign) so I'm not sure I am correct in that entry but its the only way I could get the number in the form.

Correct. the = sign means that the # will be picked up from another line or form, but if you want to override enter your figure. If you want to increase or decrease use the + or - sign for many fields. Please check the manual or the context help.

Did you watch all the training videos at the website? If not I highly recommend it before you start pulling your hair out when you get stumped.

Don't forget those cheat sheets. Laminate them!