ATX Community

Problem emailing encrypted Tax Returns

Lee B

Taxed: check to see if your software printing has a checkbox or other setting to mask the SSN when sending to a printer or .pdf file. It's really fast. I print all client copies with SSNs masked to have fewer copies out there with SSNs.

What I do is print the pdf of the return as soon as I get the e-file ack. and archive it to the Document Manager. That way I am not firing up the tax prep software each time they want a copy of the return.

I have to double check but I don't think Drake has that option to mask the ss#.

Jklcpa, JohnH do you guys know if Drake allows ss# masking?

Edit: Checked the software. Can't mask SS# on the return pdf.

Taxed, on 03 Jan 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:snapback.png

http://en.wikipedia....i/Email_privacy

Wikipedia talks about what you can expect for e-mail privacy.

When I send the pdf of a return I encrypt it and send the password separately either as a txt message or voice mail.

I would not have expected anything else from you. You bought into the paranoid baseless irrational fear.

Still waiting for the example of an e-mail being "intercepted."

I agree with the above procedure, Even if it is useless and irrational, if something leaks out I would rather show that I took recommended steps to control the data than didn't. Sort of like a doctor that runs extra tests "just in case" It plays better with the attorneys and satisfies the insurance company. We do a lot of things that don't make sense "just because". We aren't allowed to send out an email with SS#'s unless encrypted in NY and would you rather spend 30 seconds encrypting an email or fighting with banks, the state etc.

• Like 1