ATX Community

Trying to register an LLC

Pacun

Currently I have a sole proprietorship named SOLOPERDEDOR and the efile number is under that sole proprietorship. I pay my friend for using her office and some of her equipment and internet access. I want to form an LLC and make her a 25% member.

I want to register the LLC on Monday (Jan 6), but the ATX software under the LLC but I will not be able to get the efile number for this tax season. So I will be forced to continue using the old efile number but I will start putting the money I am charging on the LLC. I will apply for efile number under the LLC next week but it won't be ready for this tax season.

Should I wait until the tax season is over and register the LLC at that time? So my taxes for 2014 will have Sch C with profits and the K1 will reflect losses.

I will not be able to get the efile number for this tax season.

If you want to e-file as an LLC/partnership, you must go through the steps at http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-File-Providers-&-Partners/Become-an-Authorized-e-file-Provider. IRS says it can take up to 45 days after you open the account and submit fingerprints and so on.

Why don't you as a sole proprietor contract with the new LLC/partnership to be the e-file provider? You will probably want to have further agreements for use of computers and so on, because it's a nuisance to transfer them in a short year. (As always, I strongly recommend you get legal advice in your own state before forming a new entity.)

• Like 1

Is an EFIN transferable?
No. Your EFIN is not transferable and neither is your password. Even if you transfer your business by sale, gift or other disposition, you may not transfer your EFIN. You must protect your EFINS, Electronic Transmitter Identification Numbers (ETINs) and passwords from unauthorized use.
My associate did all the paper work in early December and is still waiting for his EFIN.

I know one tax shop where they are still using the Efin of one of the owners who has long since retired enjoying sunny Florida. The PTIN is obviously of the new owner and his 2 tax preparers.

I wonder how many retiring ERO's actually inform the IRS to cancel it. Or does it cancel automatically if you have not e-filed 1 or 2 seasons?

My associate did all the paper work in early December and is still waiting for his EFIN.

Based on this, I have no choice than to use my current EFIN and the new entity will report a short year and losses.

It doesn't make any sense to register it now if I can wait until July.