ATX Community

Personal Response System as Medical Expense

TKTax

It depends. If you buy it just for 'just in case', it is personal. HOWEVER, if you have some specific medical condition that your doctor says means you need it, then it would be deductible. So the client should ask their doctor. If he gives them a letter saying it's needed, that counts as 'a prescription'. I've gone through an audit on that, with no problem, since I took the doctor's letter with me.

Some of the device websites, claim that it may be deductible.

Probably non-deductible. A recommendation or "prescription" from a doctor is not generally enough, unless it is for the treatment of a specific medical condition, rather than general health or safety. But you can be very lenient since you are not able to evaluate a medical condition. Explain the rules and what might happen if the IRS questions it, which is probably not much for the small amount Document your advice on the organizr, and accept the client's decision. .

Edit: "treatment" is not the only criteria. There has to be a specific condition, but Pub 502 says "diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention." If a patient has dementia and wanders, or balance problems and falls down, an alert bracelet would mitigate the condition.

Another medical question-client thinking about dental implants at cost of approx $25,000. IRS pub only mentions "dentures" as an example of allowable medical deduction. Have seen some articles that indicate implants would be considered elective, not allowed.

Anyone with any thoughts or references on this would be appreciated, thanks.

Another medical question-client thinking about dental implants at cost of approx $25,000. IRS pub only mentions "dentures" as an example of allowable medical deduction. Have seen some articles that indicate implants would be considered elective, not allowed.

Anyone with any thoughts or references on this would be appreciated, thanks.

I vote deductible because it's dental (many dental procedures aren't absolutely necessary...but improve the quality of life)....unless it's cosmetic.

Tooth whitening isn't deductible, is it, even if it's done by a dentist? Or, am i wrong.

Oh...that was off topic :(

Personal response system....if the doctor prescribes it because the person has a life threatening medical condition...I'd say yes.

If she got it just because she saw the ad on TV...and thinks its good to have....I'd say no.

I have deducted it. Patient had stroke, prone to falls, unable to get up. One patient I know sat in a bathtub sideways untill help came. I think it would all depend upon why you have it. Due to the haircut you may get only a small piece anyway. Your situation may be different. My 2 cents