ATX Community

Residential Energy Credits

Booger

Taxpayer had his home built in 2007. He has asked whether certain energy efficient items

qualify for the energy credit (NOT SOLAR). I believe that in order to qualify for the credit,

the taxpayer has to REPLACE an existing unit for a more energy efficient unit. New construction

DOES NOT QUALIFY.

Am I correct?

Thanks,

Booger

Taxpayer had his home built in 2007. He has asked whether certain energy efficient items

qualify for the energy credit (NOT SOLAR). I believe that in order to qualify for the credit,

the taxpayer has to REPLACE an existing unit for a more energy efficient unit. New construction

DOES NOT QUALIFY.

Am I correct?

Thanks,

Booger

Found my answer......qualified residential energy property used in new construction DOES QUALIFY.

See page 10-6 of 1040 express answers.

Booger

There are two credits - one for homeowners and one for buillders. There are 2 separate forms (can't remember the numbers but one is in the 5000 series and the other I think is in the 8000 series). The homeowners get a credit up to $500 for energy efficiency improvements, and the builders get a credit for building energy efficient homes.

Tom

Lodi, CA

There are two credits - one for homeowners and one for buillders. There are 2 separate forms (can't remember the numbers but one is in the 5000 series and the other I think is in the 8000 series). The homeowners get a credit up to $500 for energy efficiency improvements, and the builders get a credit for building energy efficient homes.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Tom is exactly correct. Owners get improvements, builders get credit for new construction.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=prod....pr_tax_credits

• 1 month later...

Found my answer......qualified residential energy property used in new construction DOES QUALIFY.

See page 10-6 of 1040 express answers.

Booger

Read the reference and still don't see that new construction/addition qualifies for first part of credit - insulation, windows, doors. Been searching...seems so simple...must be missing something.

>>does it apply to the homeowner or to the builder<<

Depends on who owns it. If you have a homesite and bring in someone to build your custom home, you get the credit just like if you had an existing home and brought in a contractor to install new features. But if you have your eye on a new planned community and order upgrades, you don't get the credit even though the builder passes on the higher price to you.

>>does it apply to the homeowner or to the builder<<

Depends on who owns it. If you have a homesite and bring in someone to build your custom home, you get the credit just like if you had an existing home and brought in a contractor to install new features. But if you have your eye on a new planned community and order upgrades, you don't get the credit even though the builder passes on the higher price to you.

What about an addition to an older home? Does the new construction of the addition qualify for windows, doors, insulation?