ATX Community

MsTabbyKats and friends regarding TaxAct Software

FLORIDA TAX MAN

MsTabbyKats:

As you know, I too am using Tax Act for 2013. Do you find the E-filing cumbersome ??

When tring to e-file for a client it seems to go thru multiple screens ?? Last year, although I purchased and started with ATX 2012, I switched to Taxwise for 2012. Taxwise only required clicking on a few screens to get the return e-file ready and to submit it for e-filing.

Anyway to cut this down to reasonable measure ??

It always bring up a screen for a 9.99 charge for efiling and if the refund wants to buy Savings Bonds and other stuff. I purchased a preparer bundle so I have unlimited e-filing yet the charging screen is always there.

Maybe I could suggest a change for the future to the TA company.

Your thoughts.

I hate to tell you this....but I like those screens. Yes, it takes a little longer...but I have more confidence that things are correct.

I don't get the 9.99 charge. Are you clicking on "prepaid"?

I used, thru TRX, Taxwise...and although it saved me 30 seconds...I prefer this.

In addition I use the Q&A also...if I have a question. And on every state other than NY...I do the Q&A.

What I like is that the program is written for the non-professional.....and does not assume you know everything....as other programs do.

I hate to tell you this....but I like those screens. Yes, it takes a little longer...but I have more confidence that things are correct.

I don't get the 9.99 charge. Are you clicking on "prepaid"?

I used, thru TRX, Taxwise...and although it saved me 30 seconds...I prefer this.

In addition I use the Q&A also...if I have a question. And on every state other than NY...I do the Q&A.

What I like is that the program is written for the non-professional.....and does not assume you know everything....as other programs do.

Good point ! The 9.99 charge is one of the first screens; later a pay by credit card or prepaid screen does come up and I do click on prepaid.

I've used TaxAct for 8 years and you definitely save money on the unlimited e-file plan (prepaid). There's no way to bypass those extra clicks though. Like Ms. Tabby Kats said TaxAct is through in it's e-filing process. You get use to those extra clicks before you know it.

Thanks King Chuck for the info. I hope I can get used to it. I think I counted 18 screens before I actually got to the SUBMIT this efile screen. Gee Whiz And I have to answer whether they want US savings bonds with their refund ?? Believe me, my clients don't want US debt instruments,,,they want CASH !! Like now..pony it up Uncle Sam !!

I was helping my friend with a computer issue today and I noticed TaxAct is different from ATX. I like ATX presentation and input screen. It seems Taxact is dirt cheap though.

Agreed. Have been an ATX user for years (before their technological demands left me in the dust).

I have also noticed Tax Act only has a Form 2106, not both a 2106 AND a 2106-EZ. That's different from ATX and a bit of a pain in the behind. But the price is good. I can get all the states from TA whereas ATX only allowed 3 states unless you bought more expensive packages. And Taxwise wanted to charge for every e-file unless you bought a supremo package.

Not sure when you deal with all the pain-in-the-ass nonsense of E-filing if its better than the pain-in-the-ass of paper filing.

With Drake you can e-file all income tax forms, personal or business; you can also e-file 940, 941, 1099 and W-2 forms--all for one price.

Tax Act would be my second choice. I used it several years ago as a supplement to ATX when ATX would not automatically calculate the loss carry-forward and reduce taxable income for K-1s when they turned profitable.

FTM, I sent you a PM about Drake. Taxxcpa's suggestion would require that you purchase the unlimited package for full price if you wanted to include the payroll returns. In my PM I suggested that you consider Drake on a PPR basis for $285 that would give you all the forms they offer and ALL STATES. The $285 includes 15 returns on the PPR basis, so you could use that as a backup and for those returns that you want the 2106EZ, and states that TaxAct doesn't allow you to have, and any other forms that may not be available to you. It's $19/return after the first 15.

ETA - Drake's demo is FREE. It is a fully functional complete program from last year. That would allow you to see if your system has any trouble running it. Support is phenomenal.

• Like 1