ATX Community

FAFSA question

elfling

I have looked through what seems like endless pages of information on the FAFSA website and cannot find an answer to the following: When are a student's parents no longer a component of a FAFSA application?

The situation that triggered my search is this: Andrew is a 22 year old college student. For 2006, his W2 earnings were more than $15K. Andrew's parents are divorced. Dad is on full SS disability. The school has never included Dad's SS income in regards to FAFSA. Mom was unable to work most of 2006. Her income totalled only $3K. If she were not living with a friend who graciously took her in, she would be homeless and living on the street. But the college is being insistant about Mom's income as a factor. Andrew was not a dependent on neither parents' income tax return for 2006 because he provided more than half his own support and did not reside with either parent.

Try 1-800-433-3243 or [email protected]. Sometimes it seems like they just keep questioning these because I don't think they believe that anyone has that little income. I have the daughter of a single mom (mom is in prison). They consistently think that she is leaving zeros off when she fills in her forms. Have another student who makes more money working his way through school than both of his loser parents put together. He will be graduating in Dec with two Majors. Makes you proud to be able to help theses kids....

The short answer is they continue to want to see financial information for the parent with which the child lives the most. Has the son established his own permanent residence? Even so, my daughter's girlfriend lives with her aunt and uncle as dad is hospitalized and mom is nobody knows where; she can't get financial information from either of them. Aunt and uncle are willing to be on her FAFSA. But, the powers that be were insisting on either mom or dad, even though child had not lived with either one since middle school. Aunt and uncle spent a day camped at some federal office up in the state capital to get their niece declared officially independent -- that after many weeks on the telephone and gathering all the various documents and affidavits and whatever they were asked to bring with them. Call the number suggested above and talk to a real person. But, why sweat it if you can get financial information on the custodial parent. At the numbers you mentioned, it won't make much difference or any at all -- formula looks for child to spend about 35-6% of his assets on college, but only about 5-6% of parent's assets. Sounds like the parents you mention don't have much anyway.

I have looked through what seems like endless pages of information on the FAFSA website and cannot find an answer to the following: When are a student's parents no longer a component of a FAFSA application?

The situation that triggered my search is this: Andrew is a 22 year old college student. For 2006, his W2 earnings were more than $15K. Andrew's parents are divorced. Dad is on full SS disability. The school has never included Dad's SS income in regards to FAFSA. Mom was unable to work most of 2006. Her income totalled only $3K. If she were not living with a friend who graciously took her in, she would be homeless and living on the street. But the college is being insistant about Mom's income as a factor. Andrew was not a dependent on neither parents' income tax return for 2006 because he provided more than half his own support and did not reside with either parent.

I haven't a clue as to what you have viewed on the web concerning your question about FAFSA so...try this site paying particular attention to question 48 through 54. Good Luck

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/publicat...2007/ques4.html

I haven't a clue as to what you have viewed on the web concerning your question about FAFSA so...try this site paying particular attention to question 48 through 54. Good Luck

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/publicat...2007/ques4.html

Thanks for the reference. It helped but I would still like to find something in print as to the actual regulations. I am sure it is out there, somewhere.

The short answer is they continue to want to see financial information for the parent with which the child lives the most. Has the son established his own permanent residence?

Andrew lived with neither parent, yet has not established a permanent residence. He can't afford it. His family is in such a muddle. It is true that his mother's income will have little impact. But that is not her point. The facts remain that neither parent is custodial, neither parent can claim him as a dependent for income tax purpose, and neither parent contributes to his well-bing. So neither wishes to, nor believes they should, be involved with the FAFSA or dealings with the college. Time for me to say I've done all I can and wash my hands of the situation.