ATX Community

Warning-Don't Wish For Something-You May Get It

MsTabbyKats

I'm going to start off by saying this is a good thing for me...maybe the cosmos heard me complain.

I often complained about not liking to do 1040-NRs...at my ridiculously low fee. So I raised it...still low..but not ridiculous. I got 4 inquiries...referrals (who probably heard about my ridiculously low fees)....and no jobs!

I also complained about a certain group of clients who flooded me last year because of my comparative low fees....although they could afford to pay a bit more. The flood subsided...I just heard from a couple of them this year (they were early birds last year...I don't think thy are all waiting until the end). My theory is the former preparer offered them a better price this year.

Stupid EITC requests....paying mtges with $20,000 interest ....with 3 kids....on incomes of $10,000. From what I understand the business accountant is doing their personal returns.

So...although less income for me, no stress.....and more time to concentrate on the people who use me because they like my service....not just my price!

• Like 6

"Stupid EITC requests....paying mtges with $20,000 interest ....with 3 kids....on incomes of $10,000. From what I understand the business accountant is doing their personal returns."

Me and you think the same way, I am always left wondering how they do it :scratch_head:

Oh wait....I forgot one. Last year....a giant PITA. There was an issue about his residency...and he got very hostile towards me and accused me of being biased. He fired me....then sent me an apologetic e-mail.

Here's last weeks conversation:

Him-I'm not sure if I'm giving you my return this year because there's a complication. I got a settlement from my job ( I knew he had been terminated...but no details).

Me-What?

Him-I got a W-2 with $33,000 and a 1099-misc (box 7) with $77,000. Legal settlements are supposed to be tax free. You can do the return, and then fight it.

Me-I prepare tax returns. I don't do any fighting. You have to go back and talk to the person who issued those papers.

Him-Can you do the return without the $77,000?

Me-Yes...but it would be meaningless as the IRS has you on record for that income. Is this money by any chance back pay?

Him-No. How much would the tax be?

Me-(not going to tell him about 50 per cent). I don't know. You really need to speak to your settlement lawyer. I don't want to get in the middle of this.

• Like 5

I especially like the one I have with hubby a W-2 job. I asked if there was any other income or business they were operating. "Nope. You have all our income."

She has been posting on Facebook about how wonderful Advocare has been for her and how much her husband was selling at his job, and how great her parties have been.

They did not like me handing back their information, with no explanation and telling them I could not prepare their return this year. Been clients for 5 years.

I guess the biggest reason I fired them is the way they took me to be stupid and insulted my professionalism.

I offered no explanation. (felt good!)

• Like 5