ATX Community

partnership switching to s corp

WITAXLADY

WITAXLADY - I would think they still need to make the election on the 2553. The IRS is not going to recognize them as an S-Corp without this. It certainly will not e-file.

Michael - we have seen many clients start small as LLC and then elect to S-Corp as their business grows. I think this can be a smart path and don't understand how this defeats the purpose of getting the LLC initially. Care to elaborate?

• Like 1

SURE, an llc avoids the issue of payroll for the owners, is very easy to transfer shares around for estate planning etc. Special rules for S corp trusts but an llc can be put into trust for their kids. If real estate, refi distributions aren't limited by basis. and here is the big one. LLC protects you from your partners actions. an S corp doesn't.

• Like 1

thank you - depends on what and why you are forming the LLC - real estate, liability, S corp when income grows down the road.

this case was husband wife as members and then mama papa got involved when they provided much dinero! and wanted to be in on it but not just as banker. Not husband is working and wants a paycheck ie S corp...

Definitely do the election and that should take care of the EIN.... ? I hope - if not, we will find out!