ATX Community

Donation statement...beating a dead horse

Cathy

I really don't mean to be beating a dead horse, however, after mucho info provided to a church in regard to what should appear on their donation statements, the following is what appears:

"Pursuant to Internal Revenue Code requirements for substantiation for charitable contributions, no goods or services were provided in return for the Tax Deductible."

No where in the actual donation statement where the Tithes, Offerings, Building/Media Fund totals were listed was there any mention of "Tax Deductible".....just the above statement at the bottom of the page. Good Grief, I'm ready to call it a season!

Well, at least it was dated! Signatures of the "Pastors" was done beautifully in the "script" font within their word processor.

• Like 1

I really don't mean to be beating a dead horse, however, after mucho info provided to a church in regard to what should appear on their donation statements, the following is what appears:

"Pursuant to Internal Revenue Code requirements for substantiation for charitable contributions, no goods or services were provided in return for the Tax Deductible."

No where in the actual donation statement where the Tithes, Offerings, Building/Media Fund totals were listed was there any mention of "Tax Deductible".....just the above statement at the bottom of the page. Good Grief, I'm ready to call it a season!

Well, at least it was dated! Signatures of the "Pastors" was done beautifully in the "script" font within their word processor.

Whether the donations are deductible is not the call of the church. The tax preparer, using regulations as the guide, decide if it is deductible per IRS. The church may only state that certain donations are "not" deductible.

I agree, the wording leave a lot to be desired, especially with the grammatical error. But I think it does meet the requirements, even though I would make changes to it if I were the church administrator or treasurer.

Thanks John,

We think a lot alike. Again, my thoughts also. It's almost comical now especially as while trying to protect your client's deduction, you might think the church would be....I'm looking for the right word here...pleased, happy...no, not quite the wording. They have never been asked to include something on their statements such as what IRS is requiring, and it probably doesn't make as much sense to them now as it did to me at first.....especially for a church!

I'm just still in awe at the church who gave us the most lip was the one who received a couple of 500k contributions out of the blue years back....you would think they would want to make sure their patrons' donations would hold up under an audit.

Time for an overhaul of the entire system.

Take care,

Cathy

Whether the donations are deductible is not the call of the church. The tax preparer, using regulations as the guide, decide if it is deductible per IRS. The church may only state that certain donations are "not" deductible.

Jack,

Thanks for your comment, but I'm just too tired to fire back at ya! Just read the Codes and regs...that's all I have energy or time for at the moment. Have a good one! :spaz:

Also, we didn't ask the truly relevant question.

Were any of your client's contributions over $250?

If not, and if the contributions were made by check or credit card, then the statement from the church isn't even necessary. Nice to have it, but it isn't necessary. And it isn't required to have a signature, facsimile or otherwise.

My personal recommendation to any church is to make all their statements the same, regardless of any amount specified in the statement. In this way they are not making any decisions, they are all made by their contributor. I also recommend they place something like: "No goods or services were received, only intangible religious benefits were received by the donor" on all statements. Of course, I give them the other criteria that should also be on the statement. I get a dozen or so every year that I have go back and get a redo before we complete the return.