ATX Community

CA MFS E-filel?

Tax Prep by Deb

I orginally posted this on the e-file forum but I had no takers, so I'm posting here!

Does anybody know if we can e-file California returns when the client is filing married filing separate? If so what is the trick? I've tried doing this in the past years but was not successful. Perhaps I'm missing something?

I see the worksheet on the 1040 e-file info sheet, however in the past I filled this out but couldn't get the return to e-file.

Also what do you do about the W-2's?

My clients are married living together as husband and wife but it actually works out best for them to file separately, but I'm just not sure if it can be e-file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Deb!

Deb,

In general, married couples living in community property states do not come out better with MFS. This is because everything has to be split down the middle between each of them. At best it comes out the same, and can come out worse if they don't qualify for certain credits. (There can be exceptions where some income may be separate property.)

I live in Texas (a community property state) and never even calculate MFS vs MFJ -- it's not worth it.

I know you used to not be able to e-file MFS in community property states at all. It seems like the rule changed recently but you have to fill out some worksheet to do it. Like I said I seldom do any MFS.

I hope that helps.

No Problem!

I do agree with you, however there are some extinuating circumstances surrounding the reason why my clients want to do it this way.

I worked it both ways, and your right it comes out the same, however I am able to shift the dependents in such a way that the innocent spouse will receive her due refund. We discussed filing the injured spouse form with the return, but my success in getting IRS to accept this is at best 50/50 even though from what I have researched my client should be entitle to 1/2 of the refund.

The problem is if they file jointly the refund will be offset by some rears child support for a child that my client just found out he had. He has since petitioned the court and won custody of the child, however the mother has skipped town and can't be found, therefore is now wanted by the Law for abduction charges. His fears are that if he and his current wife file jointly the money will somehow find it's way back to her and gives her even more money to travel even further. At least wise that's what they tell me.

My feelings on it are that to receive the money, she is going to have to surface somehow and what better of an opportunity to nab her then! But again, I don't know all the facts, but doing it this way works for the best for them now.

Was just curious about being able to file electronically. There is a worksheet in the program, but in the past I could not get it to work. I was hoping it was different this year.

Deb!

[

Was just curious about being able to file electronically. There is a worksheet in the program, but in the past I could not get it to work. I was hoping it was different this year.

Deb!

Up until a year or so ago, you could not e-file it in WI. Also Community Property. Now, you can. I also have a client whose wife refuses to file jointly. Of course, she has all of the deductions and he has none so he gets the short end of the stick; plus they lose the Married Couple Credit in WI. Everyone has their own reasons. Ours is not to wonder why...........

Question?

What do you do about imputing the W-2 info? Do you put both husband and wife on same W-2 worksheet then split the amount on the front of the 1040? Or do you only include the wives and then overide the amount on the 1040 to include 1/2 of the combined?

This might be why I haven't been able to get it to work. Supposedly in California we have been able to electronically file MFS returns, but I have not found the secret of doing so within the 1040 program. (ATX 1040)

Thanks for your response. I agree it's not my place to judge, that's their business.

Deb!

I've efiled MFS ever since it became available (husband left that year!). However, I haven't had to do the income split because these were spouses that lived apart all year. Efiling is always going to be a problem if you use overrides. I've seen it mentioned that in order to not have problems with the IRS match, to enter each spouse's info and then use either the wages worksheet or line 36 to make the adjustment. the MFS worksheet should include how much of each line belonged to each spouse.