ATX Community

MA Return

MAMalody

I am completing a return for a son of a client. He is a dependent on the fathers return and therefore does not claim the personal exemption on his federal return. I am assuming the same happens on the MA return (Form 1). For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do that. Am I right in that he should not be claiming himself on the MA return and if yes, how do I do that on Form 1? Sorry for being so dense.

Nope. MA return _always_ allows the personal exemption.

Make sure you fill in the MA Schedule HC (health care). He probably did not get the 1099-HC but if he has his insurance card you can get the company name & subscriber number off that, and I have the EIN's of all the MA-approved insurance companies.

• Like 1

Catherine, ATX is ripping me up for the way I have the HC filled out. I must be reading something incorrectly. Would it be amiss of me to send you a copy of the HC to see if you can direct me to the error of my ways or the "fix" it. While I do cry easily, no is an acceptable answer.