ATX Community

Client Record Transfer

I have a client who came to me last year to handle his payroll and tax work or his convenience store located in New York Sate. Now he wants me to take over his Payroll and tax work of his Maryland store also but he is uncomfortable telling his current CAP that he wants to leave him. Instead he wants me to contact his soon to be former CPA, and telling him that this particular client wants to leave him and ask for a copy of his records. Should I do it? IF so what kind of record transfer form should I use. If any one of you has a sample record transfer form that I could take a look at that would be great.

thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

but he is uncomfortable telling his current CAP that he wants to leave him. Instead he wants me to contact his soon to be former CPA

Many times a fellow like this owes his CPA and does not want to meet and pay up? That would be the first thing I would check out before doing anything for this possible client. If that is the case you don't want this client!

• Like 2

I have no problem sending the letter but the client has to sign it too to authorize the transfer. I would also call the cpa and ask if there is any professional reason that you shouldn't accept the client. If he is owed money he will be honest and he will also let you know that he will only release the records with payment. While most records have to be released regardless of payment, its a stick they try to hold over the client. When I have a client that owes me money I tell the new cpa that they are welcome to come to my office and copy the records but I will not expend any time on the client making the copies since they have owed me money for xxxx time. hint hint hint.

• Like 1