ATX Community

CA MFS Community property Split

Tax Prep by Deb

Have either of you e-filed a married filing separate return using the community property worksheet tab on the 1040 e-file worksheet?

If so can you explain to me how to do the return. Do I include all the w-2's and then split everything in half? Do I overide to do that?

I know we are suppose to be able to e-file it but I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Deb!

Sorry, I have not done this. I have been watching your posts to see what you came up with because I am not sure how it would work out.

Wish I could help you, but that is a new one to me. The only MFS I file is the spouse who is stuck without the kids and the other has been gone for 6 months. Very rare.

Sorry.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I have not successfully gotten them to efile, but I haven't had an MFS this year yet. Let me know if you succeed.

I believe you're supposed to include all the W2s and do the split on the line 7 worksheet (the one you get when you 'bunny hop' from line 7 of the 1040). I do not use overrides; that little worksheet is perfect for that.

I use the blank input lines, a line for each w2, followed by "community property adjustment" and a negative amount equalling half that W2. Same for all other community income.

Have either of you e-filed a married filing separate return using the community property worksheet tab on the 1040 e-file worksheet?

If so can you explain to me how to do the return. Do I include all the w-2's and then split everything in half? Do I overide to do that?

I know we are suppose to be able to e-file it but I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Deb!

:P UPDATE!!!!

Well Bulldog Tom & Julie, I DID IT!

There is actually good news and bad new to report on e-file of CA MFS. You were on the right track Julie when you suggested using the 1040 line 7 worksheet to adjust the income. Here is what I did in addition to the 1040 e-file community property worksheet:

Put wives w-2 information on her return, added both income together divided by two and adjusted the difference on line 7 worksheet. Then went to taxes withheld on 1040 pge 2 which also has a worksheet to bunny hop to and added all withholding from both spouses and divided by two and made adjustment there.

This allowed me to create the e-file and transmit and was accepted.

Now the bad news, tried exactly the same on the husband but couldn't create the file. The reason I could would the wife is that I adjusted income up (she made less than husband). The program would not let me adjust income down on line 7 worksheet. So therefore I could not create the e-file. I'm sure there is a workaround on this but husband was only getting a small refund and in all likelihood wouldn't get it due to an offset anyway.

But just wanted to let you know that it can be done. If you figure anything different please let me know!

Thanks,

Deb!

Deb, did you try to adjust the husband's W-2 reduction by putting it on Line 21? I have not used the community property worksheets yet, but do have a client coming in next week that I'll have to do a split on. In the past, I have always entered all information on each relevant line and then have put the "adjusting amount" on line 21. Or did you just paper file the husband?

Maribeth

Deb, did you try to adjust the husband's W-2 reduction by putting it on Line 21? I have not used the community property worksheets yet, but do have a client coming in next week that I'll have to do a split on. In the past, I have always entered all information on each relevant line and then have put the "adjusting amount" on line 21. Or did you just paper file the husband?

Maribeth

I paper filed the husband. But right after posting this I got the acknowledgement back from California rejected because of how I adjusted the withholding. I'm currently trying to figure out how to rescend, but haven't figured it out yet. I will keep you posted.

The main problem has been with the federal line 7 and now the state withholding. I was able to figure the 1040 issues out but can't seem to find the magic button for California

Deb!