ATX Community

Backup software for external hard drive?

jklcpa

I have an external hard drive that backs up data files automatically. It is a Western Digital that came with WD SmartWare that is a total memory hog. It is using a very significant amount of physical memory that continues to tick upward and that is causing noticeable lag time in other programs. I never noticed how much memory it is using until fairly recently. I've read that the company had an update that fixed some of the memory usage and leak issue, but the program's design is such that it is continually trying to scan and categorize the files, and that is part of why it uses a lot of memory.

I can erase the drive that will delete all of the data including the program and drive monitor. 

What program do you like for local backup?  Also, the drive is about 3 years old. Is there an age when one should consider replacing a drive such as this?

I use and like very much EaseUS Todo Free Backup program.  As for the hard drive, I don't know.  I generally wipe the backup software they contain as soon as I get them.  Also, I have two back up drives for each computer, which I use alternately in case the hard drive or either of the backup drives would fail.  EaseUS Todo has proven its worth in a recent harddrive meltdown on my oldest computer.  Totally and perfectly restored everything to the date of the last backup.  (I am talking about complete system backups.)  I hate the programs that keep interrupting what you are doing to backup any changes.  For that, I use a Jump Drive and export any change I make in a tax return to that drive as I am working.  Have a separate jump drive for every program that makes frequent changes.  EaseUs also allows access to any particular program or file that you might want to look at.  Best backup program that I have ever used.

I have an external hard drive that backs up data files automatically. It is a Western Digital that came with WD SmartWare that is a total memory hog. It is using a very significant amount of physical memory that continues to tick upward and that is causing noticeable lag time in other programs. I never noticed how much memory it is using until fairly recently. I've read that the company had an update that fixed some of the memory usage and leak issue, but the program's design is such that it is continually trying to scan and categorize the files, and that is part of why it uses a lot of memory.

I can erase the drive that will delete all of the data including the program and drive monitor. 

What program do you like for local backup?  Also, the drive is about 3 years old. Is there an age when one should consider replacing a drive such as this?

Format that WD external drive.  This will remove the trash program it installs.  Then remove that program from your computer.  Once you format it, you have a huge flash drive.  Use Windows computer or server backup.  I have formatted several of those when they are brand new.  Their software is scat.

• Like 2