ATX Community

Louisiana

Lion EA

At this late date, in this large family of multi-state returns, son has CT, RI, and LA.  First time preparing a LA return.  Anything I need to watch for?  Like MA rental info or PA cities or having to know NY counties or school district or parishes...?  By the way, his employer is in Cut Off, LA.  Just emailed my client to see where he lives.

Lion, there are no separate rental taxes, no city or parish taxes or school district taxes. LA starts with federal AGI. If your client is a nonresident of LA be sure to use the nonresident form so that only the wages earned in LA are taxed by LA. I expect his resident state will give credit for the taxes paid on the LA earnings. Send a PM if you need more assistance.

Lynn

PS LA trivia - parish taxes are sales taxes imposed on retail purchases; 63 of the 64 parishes impose a parish sales tax, each requiring a separate parish sales tax return in addition to the state sales tax return. But those are not a issue for your w2 individual income tax filer.

• Like 1

Thank you, Lynn.  Young man, so doesn't respond to emails.  I'll call or even text him today to find out where he lives/lived.  He's had multiple temporary jobs as well as those expected to be permanent (marine engineer sometimes on a ship out to sea or docked someplace), and the LA job began after the start of 2013.  I'm not even calling up the state returns until I find out where his 2013 tax home(s) was, which states are nonresident and which resident.  You might see a PM later today!

New twist.  Young man lives with his parents in CT.  Works for Galliano Marine Service, LLC, in LA who sends him on a ship out in the Gulf of Mexico for a couple of weeks.  Then he returns to CT for a couple of weeks until he's sent back out on a ship, usually in the Gulf of Mexico for a couple of weeks.  During 2013, he did this back and forth since April 2013, so not a whole year.  But, it continues, so over a year.  Are these temporary assignments?  He has no other work location, no land location in any state.  Employer withheld FIT but nothing for any state.

(He had a job on a US Navy ship off the coast of Italy that also withheld FIT but no state when I first took on his family as clients.)

Does Louisiana have any claim to him?

Finally talked to client (up to now, it's been his mom).  He's assigned to a ship 200-500 miles out in international waters for a month or so, then back to CT for a month or so, and repeat.  Only works on ship, not in CT and not in LA.  So, I think taxed in CT where he resides, right?