ATX Community

ATX and Windows 8

Yardley CPA

I recognize that Windows 7 may be the preferred environment to run ATX but I was hoping to hear from those who run the program on a standalone computer with Windows 8?  I have read previous posts and know that Jack has indicated Windows 7 is the way to go.  I was just curious as to what type of issues Windows 8 users are having?

I can't guarantee no problems.  I've had a laptop running W8 and done a few returns with ATX the past tax season.  I recently purchased a desktop with W8 and done a few of the 2013 extended returns running W8 on the desktop.  I have not noticed any problems.  That's not to say there won't be problems.

My entire office is on Win8 since early this year. We have had exactly zero issues with ATX and most other newer programs. QB 2012-2014 run fine as well. QB2011 works but sometimes won't close properly. I told all my clients it was time to update to at least 12.

I honestly like Win8 better than Win7. I boot directly to Desktop environment and don't use the new interface for anything... but games.

I don't think you can guarantee no problems with any system configuration given the state of the software over the past couple tax seasons.

Jack feels pretty strongly about Windows 8, but I believe it's entirely due to the new user interface elements, and not the performance of the system or software issues.  The full screen start menu, the "charms" bar that appears when you move your cursor to the right, etc. That's the stuff that people are complaining about.

As far as how the software will run, I don't think you would see any difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8.

• Like 2

I agree Eric.  I've looked for articles regarding technical problems with the system.  I haven't found anything.  Just the usual cosmetic stuff about the tile screen and no start button.  Personally, I like the new tile screen.  I have a touch screen and it is quite handy for a lot of things.  I still use the mouse and keyboard shortcuts.  One short cut people might want for the 'start button' is MS logo key + X.  Pop up menu shows up that should help.

• Like 1

I went with Win 8 on a stand-alone desktop.  Converted some time in summer 2013 and ran this past tax season on it.  No issues.  I do about 10 Scorps and about 70 individuals on ATX.  Not big, but still, No problems.  I was happy.  No problems with payroll either but I only do quarterly payroll for single owners of s corps.

They're right.

Technically, Windows 10 is the same major version as Vista, part of the 6.x series.  So yeah, you could call it Windows 8.2.  Or Windows Vista 4.  Or Windows 6.4.

Microsoft hasn't used actual version numbers for the names of their operating system releases since Windows 3.11.  The name of Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 have been marketing driven--the numbers don't mean anything.

• Like 6

I looked at the video and I previously read an article by someone testing W10 beta. It seems to me to be cosmetic. I agree with Eric. It's mostly marketing. I think skipping the number 9 and going to number 10 is merely to make people think there are major advances and they are safe to move forward.