ATX Community

Married during the year - wife had no ins before wed

schirallicpa

So I fill out the worksheet on 8965 for shared responsibility.  And the key to this calc seems to be the household income line.  Following instructions, I fill in their combined household income, which is roughly 76000.  They were married in late June and in July she was on his insurance. 

It doesn't seem right that the penalty is based on their combined household income when at the time of her being out of compliance her income was closer to 25K annually. 

I see on the premium credit that there is some consideration for becoming married during the year, but I do not see where there is any place on the penalty to consider getting married during the year.

Am I missing something?

The uninsured taxpayer might be able to apply for an exemption for the first six months from the marketplace.  More than likely, if her income was only a little over $2,000 per month, the lowest cost bronze plan would be more than 8% of her income.  Since that is not true for the entire year, I think she would have to apply for a hardship exemption to the Secretary of HHS.  Also, if you are in a state that did not expand Medicaid, and her income would have been low enough to qualify for the expanded medicaid prior to her marriage, she might qualify to apply for a hardship exemption on those grounds.