ATX Community

Active military - Proof of insurance

Jack from Ohio

Returns are starting to flow in here at the firm.  We are asking clients to send proof of insurance coverage with a filled in questionnaire.  I just spoke to an active military man that said they do not have an insurance card of any kind.  The are all covered by Tri-Care and only have to show their military ID to the doctor.

Anyone else that has a lot of military clients know if that truly is the case?  Do all active military only go to military doctors?  What could they send as proof that they were covered?

I would like to be informed before the rest of our military clients send information or call us.

The military i.d. card is presented to gain access to benefits like Tricare, commissaries and exchanges.  You could ask for a copy of that.

Jack asked about active military, but for anyone else reading and wondering about veterans, vets that are enrolled in the VA health care program now receive a health insurance card. Those new cards started being issued in Feb 2014.

• Like 1

Returns are starting to flow in here at the firm.  We are asking clients to send proof of insurance coverage with a filled in questionnaire.  I just spoke to an active military man that said they do not have an insurance card of any kind.  The are all covered by Tri-Care and only have to show their military ID to the doctor.

Anyone else that has a lot of military clients know if that truly is the case?  Do all active military only go to military doctors?  What could they send as proof that they were covered?

I would like to be informed before the rest of our military clients send information or call us.

Jack,

Just curious as to why you are "policing" the insurance as it is not required or even mentioned in the "Best Practices"?  Even with the insurance cards does not mean they had it for all year and if you are going to "trust" them for an answer about all year coverage -- then why not trust them that they have/had coverage?  Just curious as to if I am missing something, I use you as a source, so I am a bit confused here. This, especially since you believe and have stated that for 2014 no proof is possible (as far as government is concerned).

Thanks.

Also, the answer about active and retired, etc. is spot on --- as I have kids and grandkids that are both active and retired, etc. and have asked them these same questions.